Community

Subscribe
Highlighted

Netapp NFS in Hyper-V cluster

Hi,

I want create 5 nodes Hyper-V cluster with windows 2012.

Can I make my Netapp NFS export as Shared Storage and how? I've read only about iscsi.

Thanks

Alessandro

Re: Netapp NFS in Hyper-V cluster

Hi Andrea,

Answer: You cannot do NFS export on windows 2012.

Microsoft supports network-attached storage (NAS) for Hyper-V in Windows Server 2012 when using SMB 3.0. NFS-based storage is not supported.

The only supported shared storage on Hyper-V cluster with windows 2012 are:

1. Fibre Channel (FC) SAN Arrays

2. iSCSI SAN Arrays

3. SAS JBOD Enclosures with SAS Expanders

4. SMB 3.0 Shared Folders on a Windows Server 2012 file server or, preferably, by a Windows Server 2012 clustered file services role for continuous storage availability.

Best,

RK.

4. SMB 3.0 Shared Folders on a Windows Server 2012 file server or, preferably, by a Windows Server 2012 clustered file services role for continuous storage availability.

It's worth to point out that Clustered ONTAP 8.2 brings support for SMB 3.0 (a.k.a. CIFS on steroids )

Nice point and great way to put it.

Ok, thanks.

Can you tell me how point my shared folder? Or symply.. do you have a guide?

thanks

Hi Andrea,

Just out of interest are you looking to present NFS to Hyper-V not sure you can store your VM’s on NFS exports under hyper-v, you can present SMB3 shares to Hyper-V (not currently supported in ONTap but will be in OnTap 8.2) to host VM’s, but don’t think you can with NFS.

What are you hoping to achieve?

Regards

Paul.

Andrea,

Sorry, I didn't quite understand your question. Are you asking how to map a CIFS share to your windows server?

Regards,

RK

Hi Ravi,

I wouldn't mind the answer on mapping CIFS SMB shares to a Windows Server 2012 Failover Cluster. I am trying to do this in VMware vCloud at the moment.

Cheers, Matt.

Hi Paul,

Do you know if you can present SMB 3.0 shares in VMware to a Windows Server 2012 Failover Cluster.

Cheers, Matt.