Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

New-NcVolClone suggestions for DR Recovery Script

bthurber

I have to preface this by saying I'm new to powershell.  

Criteria:

I want to create a DR Recovery script that will flexclone snapmirrored volumes in our DR Controller based on the VolumeMirrorAttributes. 

Script:

$dr_vs0 = "net01"
$dr_vs1 = "net02"
$cluster = "net"
Connect-NcController $cluster -Vserver $dr_vs0
###################################
###################################

$dr_Attributes = Get-NcVol -VserverContext $dr_vs0 -Template
$dr_Query = Get-NcVol -Template
Initialize-NcObjectProperty -object $dr_Query -name VolumeMirrorAttributes
$dr_Query.VolumeMirrorAttributes.IsDataProtectionMirror = "True"
$dr_sm_volumes = Get-NcVol -Attributes $dr_Attributes -Query $dr_Query

$dr_clonevol = $dr_sm_volumes | Select-Object Name | ForEach-Object {$_.Name}

ForEach ($dr_i in $dr_clonevol) {

New-NcVolClone -CloneVolume $dr_vol"" -VserverContext $dr_vs0 -ParentVolume $dr_vol -SpaceReserve none 

}

How would I pass the variable "$dr_clonevol" in to the ForEach loop and use it to name the cloned volume in the -CloneVolume parameter?

I keep getting "New-NcVolClone : Cannot bind argument to parameter 'ParentVolume' because it is null."

echo $dr_clonevol
vs1_data_xpd_2hr_01_mirror
vs1_data_xpd_2hr_04_mirror
vs1_data_xpd_2hr_05_mirror
vs1_vs1_data_xpd_2hr_02_mirror
vs1_vs1_data_xpd_2hr_03_mirror

Thanks in advance!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Aparajita

Hi,

I don't see the variable dr_vol being defined anywhere (assuming you've posted the entire script). That is the reason you're getting the "Can not bind" error - $dr_vol is in fact null.

As far as getting the cloneVol names in the for-each loop, I would suggest

ForEach ($dr_clonevol in $dr_sm_volumes) {
     New-NcVolClone -CloneVolume $dr_clonevol.Name -VserverContext $dr_vs0 -ParentVolume $dr_vol -SpaceReserve none 
}

But from your problem description, I think you want the output of Get-NcVol to be the parent volumes and create a clone as parent_vol_name_clone or something similar? In that case, I would suggest

ForEach ($dr_vol in $dr_sm_volumes) {
     $dr_clonevol_name = $dr_vol.Name + "_clone";
     New-NcVolClone -CloneVolume $dr_clonevol_name -VserverContext $dr_vs0 -ParentVolume $dr_vol.Name -SpaceReserve none 
}

Hope this helps,

Aparajita

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Aparajita

Hi,

I don't see the variable dr_vol being defined anywhere (assuming you've posted the entire script). That is the reason you're getting the "Can not bind" error - $dr_vol is in fact null.

New-NcVolClone -CloneVolume $dr_clonevol.Name -VserverContext $dr_vs0 -ParentVolume $dr_vol -SpaceReserve none 
}

But from your problem description, I think you want the output of Get-NcVol to be the parent volumes and create a clone as parent_vol_name_clone or something similar? In that case, I would suggest

New-NcVolClone -CloneVolume $dr_clonevol_name -VserverContext $dr_vs0 -ParentVolume $dr_vol.Name -SpaceReserve none 
}

Hope this helps,

Aparajita

BradT

@Aparajita wrote:

Hi,

}

}

Hope this helps,

Aparajita

I didn't include the intire script, only the final "at wits end" attempt but you obviously got the gist of what I was attempting to do.  I ran with your recommendation and got the following error:

New-NcVolClone : Clone of a DP volume vs1_data_xpd_2hr_01_mirror cannot be created without snapshot. Please provide snapshot

I made the following modification:

$getsnap = Get-NcSnapshot -Volume $dr_vol.Name | sort Created -Descending
     $getsnap_snap0 = $getsnap[0]

$dr_clonevol_name = $dr_vol.Name + "_DR_Test";
     New-NcVolClone -CloneVolume $dr_clonevol_name -VserverContext $dr_vs0 -ParentVolume $dr_vol.Name -SpaceReserve none -ParentSnapshot $getsnap_snap0
}

This worked perfectly... the takeaway being the .Name after the variable.  I don't understand why it's required - is this something you learn as you go? Smiley Happy

Thanks!

Aparajita
It's pretty intuitive once you get used to "everything is an object, or should be" philosophy of PowerShell (takes a while if you're used to a *nix shell).

The output of Get-NcVol is an array of objects. So $dr_vol inside the foreach is an object. But the ParentVolume parameter of New-NcClone doesn't take a volume object, only a string value for the name. Hence the .Name to dereference the proper attribute of the $dr_vol object.
Public