Subscribe

Not enough memory error

I am trying to run the get-navol command against one of our snapvault destinations.  I have run this against this filer in the past and haven't had problems.  The only thing that I can think if that have changed since the last time I successfully got this to run was the aggregates on the filer have been converted to 64 bit and I have upgraded the tool kit.  Is this an environment issue (meaning my machines configuration) or an issue with the toolkit?

PS C:\Scripts> Get-NaVol

Get-NaVol : Not enough memory for reply value, but command completed successfully

At line:1 char:1

+ Get-NaVol

+ ~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (aFiLeR:NaController) [Get-NaVol], EONTAPI_ENOMEM

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ApiException,DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.Volume.GetNaVol

Re: Not enough memory error

Can you say (approximately) how many volumes are present?

Total of 129 volumes, surprisingly fewer then I would have expected.

If you pipe to out-file do you get same issue?

It does, the issue is with the underlying code in the tool kit.  Regardless of what you do with the results it always fails.

To get around this error, install the latest version of the toolkit and run; Get-NaVol -Terse

Thanks for confirming that works.  Get-NaVol returns a large amount of info, much of it rarely needed in a volume context; that was apparently leading to the out-of-memory condition in Data ONTAP's API handler.  -Terse omits some of the extra data, and the resulting packets are much smaller.

I ran into the same issue after hitting about 120 volumes. Using the -Terse switch does work though. Thanks!

I'm running into the same out of memory issue.  -Terse work, but what info\data does it not return?

-Terse omits a number of info types, such as autosize info, RAID group info, and autodelete info.  Just try these two commands and compare the differences:

Get-NaVol vol0 | Format-Custom

Get-NaVol vol0 -Terse | Format-Custom