Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Performance graphs for NetApp - Powershell - vCheck

MDJAMES001

I'm looking for a nice script that will run several graphs in a scheduled task, output an HTML file or office document, and e-mail it to me for a daily/weekly report.

I've seen some performance graphs, but they use Google Graphs and my system isn't internet connected. I need to use Windows forms, or something built into office or server 2008.

I have been playing with vCheck (Nice Utility!) and I'm working on a plugin for it. If anyone is also doing this, please let me know.

Michael

esxguide.blogspot.com

2 REPLIES 2

vinith

Check out My Personal Blog, it would give you some heads up on creating GUI for your powershell Scripts using PowerShell Studio 2012.

http://www.vinithmenon.com/2013/07/building-gui-for-powershell-scripts.html

danekantner

Check out this blog on how to generate graphs in a purely MSFT way (using Microsoft Chart Controls) via powershell, the only dependency is .NET 4 (or 3.5 with an add-on installed).  You can by script save a graph as PNG and then embed it into HTML, examples are given. 

http://bytecookie.wordpress.com/2012/04/13/tutorial-powershell-and-microsoft-chart-controls-or-how-to-spice-up-your-reports/

For web front ends, this post  is also very interesting to check out... you can save output from powershell into HTML with embedded jquery so it will allow you to dynamically sort and even search, all on client side.  (The link is available on github -- https://github.com/dfinke/powershell/tree/master/jqueryDataTable ).  You could probably combine the MCC and this jquery front pretty nicely.

I'm currently using the base script that was posted here on the NetApp forums Filer_Report which generates Excel and exports to HTML, the initial script posted lists various details of filers on different tabs (aggregates, utilization, etc.). I've made some modifications and run it scripted nightly, and it archives old copies. There are a few great resources out there on Excel automation in PowerShell that would help you figure out creating graphs/charts in Excel. I started w/ that basic Excel framework and wrote a new script to audit home directories in an automated fashion by looking up the filer, determining how that particular filer's home dirs are set up (and if not explicitly using the cifs_homedir option, determines how via 3 other possible configurations), goes through the shares and determines if a folder is a home directory, then attempts to look up a matching active directory account for if it exists anymore, if it's disabled, then calculates the directory size itself and # of files. That all works nicely but having it live in Excel is more of a burden for a few reasons--namely it's harder to compare historical data, you would have to open the old files, scan them for what you wanted, etc., and at some point it's just a lot of coding for something better suited elsewhere I think. I'm hoping to convert it to a database in the back end and web front end. Also I want to make a few aspects of the data actionable right in the report, I could embed some code in each line to do something I wanted, but again there are better ways. Also I happen to have permissions to everything I'm reporting on, there are systems in our enterprise I don't administer but their admins might benefit from similar reporting, I could split out the code into a smaller script they can run for only their data and their data could feed into the same database, etc., without me having to have permissions, and they without having to stand up their own instance of the entire reporting infrastructure.  I'll hopefully post when I have something more developed on that front.

Public