Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Questions on Hyper-V and iSCSI with a FAS2020

woodlandpark

Please bear with my lack of in-depth knowledge of SAN workings. The story is that I'm going to be migrating from a StoreVault S500 (NetApp's small business line) to a FAS2020 in the coming weeks. On the StoreVault, I currently have a Hyper-V server running 6 VM's on a LUN. After skimming through some of these "best practices" docs from NetApp for virtualization, I'm getting overwhelmed. With the StoreVault, I didn't really have to worry about all this aggegrate and volume stuff. There was 1 aggregate and 1 volume, and then however many LUNs you wanted to create. Keep in mind that I'm a pretty small shop (5 physical servers, 6 VM's, Exchange with ~50 mailboxes). Questions I'm wondering in moving over to the FAS2020...

1. Do I need to worry about aggegates and volumes? I don't really know much about the differences and what to do with them. I'll also be moving over my Exchange LUNs (DB LUN and log LUN) with this migration as well as a ~350GB CIFS share. Do I create multiple aggegates or volumes for certain scenarios or something? If it's a performance thing, would it really matter for my small implementation?
  2. Do I *need* SnapDrive to do LUNs with the FAS2020? I did not purchase SnapDrive with the FAS2020. I didn't even think about it since SnapDrive came free with my StoreVault stuff, but some of the best practices started talking about installing it for LUN stuff.

Are there any other things anybody can think of that may be drastically different moving over to this new system? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

michael2

Hi Robert, thought I would jump in.

1.  It is perfectly valid to run your FAS2020 with a single aggregate, especially in a smaller environment like yours.  While not ideal for high i/o environments, the NetApp best practices guide for Exchange (TR3578) specifically mentions this as acceptable for smaller environments.

2.  You are correct that other data should not go in vol0, and 286GB is definetly larger than you need.  The Data ONTAP admin guide for 7.3.1 recommends 10GB minimum for a 2020.

Hope this helps.

Mike Slisinger

NetApp

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Public