Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

RCU for Hyer-V ?

eranb

Hi

I've looked the the RCU documentation and it doesn't seem to support Hyper-V.

Since Hyper-V doesn't suppor NFS we can't use SIS-Clone to clone a single VHD file or a single VM, and have to use FlexClone.

My customer wants to replicate the golden image 200 times, even if he uses FlexClone to replicate the Golden CSV 20 times, he still needs to physically copy the golden image 10 times to create the "golden CSV" and then run DeDupe before he can clone the volume (or at least the LUN).

I know that if you have FlashCache the second copy wil be faster (assuming you enable low-priority data to allow a large sequential read into the cache) but it still requires him to copy through the host(s)

1)  Are there any existing scripts to make this operation any faster ?

2) I Is there an RCU-like tool planned for Hyper-V ?

Thanks !

Eran B

2 REPLIES 2

barve

Appliance Watch Pro 2.1 release will ship PowerShell cmdlets for cloning of Hyper-V VMs. It will support rapid provisioning of VMs from an SCVMM template and will use sis clone technology underneath to clone VHD blocks.

Thanks,

Anagha

watan

We currently have AppWatch 2.0 released  and is available here -> AppWatch 2.0  - This release has SCOM + NetApp Monitoring and PRO tips.

AppWatch 2.1 will be released sometime in July 2010 and will include all of the functionality in 2.0 + Additional PRO Tips, Storage provisioning cmdlet, Rapid VM provisioning using Cloning technology, and DITSC integration.

Public