Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

RPC Permissions Error

thepunisher

I just tried connecting to a controller that I have connected to countless times in the past and got an RPC error with access denied.  When I issues the connect command again but this time force it to get my credentials (I enter my current credentials) it works.  Anyone have any ideas how to correct this?

PS C:\Scripts> Connect-NaController netapp01

Connect-NaController : RPC Error: Access is denied. Code 0x5.

At line:1 char:1

+ Connect-NaController netapp01

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidResult: (netapp01:NaController) [Connect-NaController], EAPITRANSMISSION

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : RpcConnectionFailed,DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.ConnectNaController

PS C:\Scripts> Connect-NaController netapp01-Credential (Get-Credential)

cmdlet Get-Credential at command pipeline position 1

Supply values for the following parameters:

Credential

Name                 Address           Ontapi   Version

----                 -------           ------   -------

netapp01      129.176.255.52    1.13     Data ONTAP Release 8.0.2P6 7-Mode: Fri Jan 27 14:48:08 PST 2012

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

vinith

Hi thepunisher,

I guess your credentials might have got removed from the credential cache, can you try running

Get-NaCredential and check that you don't get any blank output?

Here's the description of this cmdlet quoted in help on the cmdlet

"List entries in the credentials cache.  Only entries that are usable by the current user are listed.  This may include credentials that were saved with user or system scope."

I guess You would need to use Add-NaCredential to save login credentials for a Data Ontap Controller, Here's the description of this cmdlet quoted in help on the cmdlet

Save login credentials for a Data ONTAP controller.  The cached credentials are available to Connect-NaController

and Invoke-NaSsh, making these cmdlets as simple to use with HTTP/HTTPS connections as when using RPC connections.

The saved credentials are encrypted for safe storage.  By default, a set of credentials is saved using the current

user context, so that only the same Windows user can retrieve them.  If an application of the Toolkit must utilize

the cached credentials while running under some other context, specify the -SystemScope parameter.  This saves the

credentials such that any process or user on the local system can access them, so this option should only be used

on a system with limited user access.

Any number of Toolkit users may store credentials for a given storage controller in the cache, but a user will

only be able to see and utilize credentials saved using his account identity or the system identity.

The credentials cache is designed to be interoperable with that created by the PowerShell cmdlets bundled with

NetApp's ApplianceWatch PRO 2.1 and later.  However, the AppWatch cmdlets only support saving credentials with

System scope, so be sure to use the -SystemScope parameter with Data ONTAP PowerShell Toolkit credential cmdlets

if interoperability is important.

The controller may be specified by name or address, by an NaController object, or by the value in

$global:CurrentNaController.

Here's some stuff i tested out, i connected to a controller using cached credentials, i saw that indeed my cached credentials were present when i ran "Get-NaCredential"

Later i piped the output of  Get-NaCredential to Remove-NaCredential and i again reconnected to the filer and i got an access denied error.

Again i used "Add-NaCredential" to add my Controller Credentials to the Credential Cache, and when i tried re-connecting it worked.

Here's a screen cap of the steps.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

vinith

Hi thepunisher,

I guess your credentials might have got removed from the credential cache, can you try running

Get-NaCredential and check that you don't get any blank output?

Here's the description of this cmdlet quoted in help on the cmdlet

"List entries in the credentials cache.  Only entries that are usable by the current user are listed.  This may include credentials that were saved with user or system scope."

I guess You would need to use Add-NaCredential to save login credentials for a Data Ontap Controller, Here's the description of this cmdlet quoted in help on the cmdlet

Save login credentials for a Data ONTAP controller.  The cached credentials are available to Connect-NaController

and Invoke-NaSsh, making these cmdlets as simple to use with HTTP/HTTPS connections as when using RPC connections.

The saved credentials are encrypted for safe storage.  By default, a set of credentials is saved using the current

user context, so that only the same Windows user can retrieve them.  If an application of the Toolkit must utilize

the cached credentials while running under some other context, specify the -SystemScope parameter.  This saves the

credentials such that any process or user on the local system can access them, so this option should only be used

on a system with limited user access.

Any number of Toolkit users may store credentials for a given storage controller in the cache, but a user will

only be able to see and utilize credentials saved using his account identity or the system identity.

The credentials cache is designed to be interoperable with that created by the PowerShell cmdlets bundled with

NetApp's ApplianceWatch PRO 2.1 and later.  However, the AppWatch cmdlets only support saving credentials with

System scope, so be sure to use the -SystemScope parameter with Data ONTAP PowerShell Toolkit credential cmdlets

if interoperability is important.

The controller may be specified by name or address, by an NaController object, or by the value in

$global:CurrentNaController.

Here's some stuff i tested out, i connected to a controller using cached credentials, i saw that indeed my cached credentials were present when i ran "Get-NaCredential"

Later i piped the output of  Get-NaCredential to Remove-NaCredential and i again reconnected to the filer and i got an access denied error.

Again i used "Add-NaCredential" to add my Controller Credentials to the Credential Cache, and when i tried re-connecting it worked.

Here's a screen cap of the steps.

thepunisher

That did it.  I ran the Add-NaCredential command and was able to connect to the filer.  It was also persistent to me exiting PowerShell and connecting again.  Thanks Vinith.

Jorge

Public