Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

SMHV Issues

aaron

Hi Everyone,

Im having some issues getting SMHV working on my Hyper-V cluster. I have a 3 node cluster and a virtual SCVMM server. All cluster nodes have snapmanger for hyper-v installed and all nodes have snapdrive installed/ configured. At present all cluster nodes have access to a number of CSV's and the Quorum drive. I have created a LUN for the snapinfo metadata and connected all nodes to this LUN. My question is does this 'snapinfo' LUN need to be a cluster disk or just a shared LUN?

Also on each of the cluster nodes do i add each host to their own respective snapmanager or do i add the cluster name? I have read through the documentation and can't really find a clear answer....can anyone tell me exactly how this is supposed to be set up?

Thanks,

Aaron.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jfournie

Aaron,

The SnapInfo LUN must be a Cluster disk:

When you create a LUN using Snapdrive (Launch from the Cluster Ressource), the LUN can be either "Shared" or "dedicated", for the SnapInfo, select "Shared (Microsoft Cluster Service Only)"

Then you will be asked to map the LUN to all nodes of the cluster, which you cannot do with a standard LUN.

In the pane "Microsoft Cluster Service Group" just select either an existing group name (cluster group or Available storage) or create a new group "Snapinfo Group".

But don't select : "Add to cluster shared Volume"  => The SnapInfo path must not reside on a CSV.

The snapinfo LUN will appear in your cluster disks list in the group you selected.

Best regards

Jérôme

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

jfournie

Hello Aaron,

The SMVH best pratice guide may be your friend :-):  https://fieldportal.netapp.com/viewcontent.asp?qv=1&docid=21537

The SnapInfo path must reside on a Data ONTAP LUN. For managing dedicated VMs, the SnapInfo location

needs to be a dedicated Data ONTAP LUN. For managing shared VMs, the SnapInfo location needs to be to a

shared Data ONTAP LUN.

The SnapInfo path must not reside on a CSV.

Also, concerning the 2nd question, you need to register the name of the cluster, not individual nodes. SMHV will therefore consider that the VMs can be backed-up whatever node they resides on, for example if you live migrate a VM, you will not have to change anything within SMHV. Also, SMHV will allow you to restore on the Cluster even if the node where the VM was is out of service.

Hope this help

Best regards

Jérôme

aaron

Hi Jerome,

Thanks for the reply, just to clarify, the comment :

For managing shared VMs, the SnapInfo location needs to be to a

shared Data ONTAP LUN.

Does this mean that the snapinfo LUN should be accessible by all cluster nodes? if so im guessing that this LUN should not be either a 'Cluster Disk' or a CSV volume? Just a standard LUN presented to all hosts?

Thanks,

Aaron.

jfournie

Aaron,

The SnapInfo LUN must be a Cluster disk:

When you create a LUN using Snapdrive (Launch from the Cluster Ressource), the LUN can be either "Shared" or "dedicated", for the SnapInfo, select "Shared (Microsoft Cluster Service Only)"

Then you will be asked to map the LUN to all nodes of the cluster, which you cannot do with a standard LUN.

In the pane "Microsoft Cluster Service Group" just select either an existing group name (cluster group or Available storage) or create a new group "Snapinfo Group".

But don't select : "Add to cluster shared Volume"  => The SnapInfo path must not reside on a CSV.

The snapinfo LUN will appear in your cluster disks list in the group you selected.

Best regards

Jérôme

Public