Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

Setting timezone with Set-NcTime and Node Parameter Returns Success but Doesn't Change Timezone

mcgue
The timezone configuration setting is global to the cluster. However, the cmdlet documentation shows passing the -node parameter when configuring the timezone. When doing this it looks like a success; however, the timezone actually isn't changed. Removing the -node parameter allows the change to go through.
5 REPLIES 5

Aparajita

Hi,

Can you let me know which Data ONTAP version you're invoking Set-NcTime against?

I tried with 8.3.1 and observed an error is thrown and running the command in verbose mode clearly mentions `VERBOSE: Error: invalid argument "-node"`. We can certainly look at adding this information (about Node/Timezone incompatibility) in the documentation, but I'm curious to understand why it appears to pass in your setup while it clearly errors out in mine.

Thanks,

Aparajita

michaeljay

I am having a similar issue with cDOT 8.3.1P1 and the set-nctime cmdlet. I have tried various settings within the script but it will just not change the timezone:

Set-NcTime -Timezone America/New_York

Set-NcTime -node $node2 -Timezone "America/New_York"

Set-NcTime -Timezone "America/New_York"

$timeZone = "America/New_York"

Set-NcTime -Timezone $timeZone

Nothing I have tried has worked. I can set it in both CLI and Sysman, I can add time servers with the cmdlet:

$timeServer1 = "server_name"

New-NcNtpServer -ServerName $timeServer1

But the timezone just will not change. Is there a bug or am I not using this correctly?

michaeljay

Here is a new development. When I looked on the cluster and used the "time' command this is what I get:

rdonacle03::> time
  (timezone)
    Timezone: America/New_York

rdonacle03::>

But when I use the "date" command this is what i get:

rdonacle03::> date
Node      Date                     Time zone
--------- ------------------------ -------------------------
rdonacle03-01
          Tue May 17 06:16:35 2016 America/Los_Angeles
rdonacle03-02
          Tue May 17 06:16:35 2016 America/Los_Angeles
2 entries were displayed.

WTH? How can the cluster see 2 different timezones?

When I run this:

$timeZone = "America/New_York"

Set-NcTime -Timezone $timeZone

It appears to work but the Sysman display always showed New York and so did the "time" command. What is going on here?

michaeljay

Just to note, I was trying to go from New York to Los Angeles (back and forth) as a test. So when I used Los Angeles I could see the timezone change under the "date" command but the "time" command always showed New York and so did the Sysman display...

Aparajita

Definitely looks like a bug, possibly both in the PowerShell Toolkit and in Data ONTAP. Let me investigate further.

Public