Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

get-nasnapmirror question

kurt_westenhoefer

I am trying to create a script that will list the snapmirror status for my filers and send the results to me in an e-mail.  When I type get-nasnapmirror FILERNAME it just brings me right back to the command prompt with no data returned.  I have also tried get-nasnapmirror FILERNAME:volume

If I type get-nasnapmirror by itself I get the result of a filer, but not the one I am trying to get.  I am not sure how or why it is going to that particular filer.

What am I doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cknight

Hello, Kurt.  When you issue Connect-NaController, the resulting connection is cached in $global:CurrentNaController, and this value is used by all subsequent Toolkit cmdlet invocations unless you specifically provide the target using the -Controller parameter.

So to get Snapmirror relationships on a single controller, try:

Connect-NaController <controllerName>

Get-NaSnapmirror

To get Snapmirror relationships on a different controller, or in a loop context, try this:

$controller = Connect-NaController <controllerName>

Get-NaSnapmirror -Controller $controller

To get a specific relationship:

Get-NaSnapmirror -Location <sourceOrDestinationName> -Controller (Connect-NaController <controllerName>)

In this last case, the -Location parameter is just a string that matches the values returned by Get-NaSnapmirror or the values in /etc/snapmirror.conf.  Don't forget that you can use wildcards in the -Location parameter to expand your query results.  Also, nearly all Toolkit cmdlets have one or more examples in their online help, i.e. 'man Get-NaSnapmirror -Examples'.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

cknight

Hello, Kurt.  When you issue Connect-NaController, the resulting connection is cached in $global:CurrentNaController, and this value is used by all subsequent Toolkit cmdlet invocations unless you specifically provide the target using the -Controller parameter.

So to get Snapmirror relationships on a single controller, try:

Connect-NaController <controllerName>

Get-NaSnapmirror

To get Snapmirror relationships on a different controller, or in a loop context, try this:

$controller = Connect-NaController <controllerName>

Get-NaSnapmirror -Controller $controller

To get a specific relationship:

Get-NaSnapmirror -Location <sourceOrDestinationName> -Controller (Connect-NaController <controllerName>)

In this last case, the -Location parameter is just a string that matches the values returned by Get-NaSnapmirror or the values in /etc/snapmirror.conf.  Don't forget that you can use wildcards in the -Location parameter to expand your query results.  Also, nearly all Toolkit cmdlets have one or more examples in their online help, i.e. 'man Get-NaSnapmirror -Examples'.

fjohn

One way to work with  multiple controllers in your loop is to create a collection of naconnection objects.  There's an example here: http://communities.netapp.com/docs/DOC-6293

J

kurt_westenhoefer

Here is what I have so far.  I am stuck trying to get the results of this script in the body of the e-mail I am sending at the end of the script.  I can get it to output the results to the screen, but not in the body of the email.  Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong.  I am pretty new to PS so I am assuming I am missing something obvious.  I tried using Write-Output in the loop, but I couldn't get that to work either.

Import-Module DataONTAP

Connect-NAController netapp03

$sm = Get-NaSnapmirror

$SMTPSRV = "server.domain.com"

$EmailFrom = user@domain.com

$EmailTo = user@domain.com

foreach($sm in $sm) {

Write-Host $sm.SourceLocation "-->" $sm.DestinationLocation "-->" $sm.LagTime "-->" $sm.State "-->" $sm.Status

}

Send-MailMessage -To $EmailTo -Subject "Snapmirror Status" -Body "blahblahblah" -From $EmailFrom -SmtpServer $SMTPSRV

wedge1212

if your foreach loop you just need to add the results to a variable instead of doing a write-host.  Then reference that new variable as the body in the send-mailmessage command. For example:

foreach ($item in $collection) {

$a += $item

}

Send-MailMessage -To $EmailTo -Subject "Snapmirror Status" -Body $a -From $EmailFrom -SmtpServer $SMTPSRV

that would get the job done but you can probably do a little bit more to format the information to make it more readable.

Public