Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

loop

JSHACHER11

Following up on my last post, I have this script that I need to loop

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Import-Module Dataontap

write-host ""

write-host ""

write-host "This script will list volumes over 80% full, the containing aggregates and snapmirror relationships" -foregroundcolor yellow

write-host ""

write-host ""

write-host "You will also get an option to increase a volume size" -foregroundcolor yellow

write-host ""

write-host ""

$filer = Read-Host "Enter the filer name"

$user = Read-Host "Enter username"

Connect-NaController -Name $filer -Credential $user

get-navol | ? {$_.used -gt 80} | select name,used,@{Name="Available Size (in GB)";Expression={[math]::truncate($_.Available/1gb)}},@{Name="Total Size (in GB)";Expression={[math]::truncate($_.sizetotal/1gb)}} | ft -Autosize | Out-String

write-host ""

write-host ""

write-host "Here are the aggregates:" -foregroundcolor yellow

write-host ""

write-host ""

get-naaggr | select name,@{Name="Total Size (in GB)";Expression={[math]::truncate($_.totalsize/1gb)}},used,@{Name="Available Size (in GB)";Expression={[math]::truncate($_.available/1gb)}} | ft -Autosize | Out-String

write-host ""

write-host ""

write-host "and the snapmirror relationships:" -foregroundcolor yellow

write-host ""

write-host ""

get-navol | ? {$_.used -gt 80} | get-nasnapmirror | select source,destination | ft -Autosize | Out-String

write-host ""

write-host ""

$ans = Read-Host -prompt "Would you like to increase one of the volumes? [Y/N]"

write-host ""

write-host ""

if ($ans -eq "N") {

exit

} else {

$vol = Read-Host "Enter volume name"

$size = Read-Host "How much more space do you want to give it? (example: +100g)"

Set-NaVolsize -Name $vol -NewSize $size -Confirm

Write-Host ""

Write-Host ""

Write-Host "Check the new size:" -foregroundcolor yellow

Write-Host ""

Write-Host ""

Get-NaVol -Name $vol | select name,used,@{Name="Available Size (in GB)";Expression={[math]::truncate($_.Available/1gb)}},@{Name="Total Size (in GB)";Expression={[math]::truncate($_.sizetotal/1gb)}}

}

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The above gives me the option to increase a volume size but will only run once. I'm after a loop that will give me an option to choose to run the Set-NaVolsize again.

It should be something like this at the end of the script:

$ans = Read-Host -prompt "Would you like to increase another volumes? [Y/N]"

if ($ans -eq "N") {

exit

} else {

$size = Read-Host "How much more space do you want to give it? (example: +100g)"

Write-Host ""

Write-Host ""

Write-Host ""

Write-Host ""

Get-NaVol -Name $vol | select name,used,@{Name="Available Size (in GB)";Expression={[math]::truncate($_.Available/1gb)}},@{Name="Total Size (in GB)";Expression={[math]::truncate($_.sizetotal/1gb)}}

}

so the above should loop until the input is N (no) - how do I do that?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JGPSHNTAP

Ok, so let me address a few issues here

First, you shouldn't be importing the module every time you run the script.  You should add it to your profile.  And someone mentioned to me that the module will load automatically in 3.0, but i haven't tested that.  Look up Powershell profiles. 

First, you should eliminate all the Write-host ""

You should use something like

Write-Host "`n`nCheck the new size:`n`n" -foregroundcolor yellow

Also, as stated in previous email, you should be using the convertto-formattednumber cmdlet in place of - Expression={[math]::truncate($_.Available/1gb)}},    It's a custom Dataontap module cmdlet that will help with other future scripts

As for your loop. you need to focus on something like Do.... Until.

something like

Do {

write-host ""

write-host ""

if ($ans -eq "N") {

exit

} else {

Write-Host ""

Write-Host ""

Write-Host ""

Write-Host ""

}

}

Until ( $ans -eq "N")

Enjoy!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

JGPSHNTAP

Ok, so let me address a few issues here

First, you shouldn't be importing the module every time you run the script.  You should add it to your profile.  And someone mentioned to me that the module will load automatically in 3.0, but i haven't tested that.  Look up Powershell profiles. 

First, you should eliminate all the Write-host ""

You should use something like

Also, as stated in previous email, you should be using the convertto-formattednumber cmdlet in place of - Expression={[math]::truncate($_.Available/1gb)}},    It's a custom Dataontap module cmdlet that will help with other future scripts

As for your loop. you need to focus on something like Do.... Until.

something like

Do {

write-host ""

write-host ""

if ($ans -eq "N") {

exit

} else {

Write-Host ""

Write-Host ""

Write-Host ""

Write-Host ""

}

}

Until ( $ans -eq "N")

Enjoy!

JGPSHNTAP

And if you are going to do it that way, you should probably remove the if/else

JSHACHER11

sweet, thanks

so it should look like that?

Do {

$vol = Read-Host "`n`nEnter volume name`n`n"

$size = Read-Host "`n`nHow much more space do you want to give it? (example: +100g)`n`n"

}

Until ( $ans -eq "N")

KARL_BUSTAMANTE

Hi Joel,

Why not use :

function volincrease {

$size = Read-Host "`n`nHow much more space do you want to give it? (example: +100g)`n`n"

}

$yes = New-Object System.Management.Automation.Host.ChoiceDescription "&Yes",""

$no = New-Object System.Management.Automation.Host.ChoiceDescription "&No",""

$choices = [System.Management.Automation.Host.ChoiceDescription[]]($yes,$no)

$caption = "Volume Increase"

$message = "Would you like to increase one of the volumes?"

$result = $Host.UI.PromptForChoice($caption,$message,$choices,0)

if($result -eq 0) { volincrease }

if($result -eq 1) { exit }

JSHACHER11

Hi Karl

a. Josh told me not to use functions

b. That is a bit beyond my basic knowledge. What is 'New-Object System.Management.Automation.Host.ChoiceDescription'?

Cheers

JGPSHNTAP

No, I said, in your last implementation of the script a function was pointless...

A function in this case would be good...

JGPSHNTAP

I tend to lean more towards switch statements as well in this nstance.

Switch ( $ans )

{

0 { volincrease}

1 {

Write-Host "`nYou have selected Exit`n"

timeout /t -1

cls

Exit

}

}

KARL_BUSTAMANTE

Import-Module Dataontap

function volincrease {

}

write-host "This script will list volumes over 80% full, the containing aggregates and snapmirror relationships" -foregroundcolor yellow

write-host "`n`nYou will also get an option to increase a volume size`n`n" -foregroundcolor yellow

$filer = Read-Host "Enter the filer name"

$user = Read-Host "Enter username"

Connect-NaController -Name $filer -Credential $user

do {

get-navol | ? {$_.used -gt 80} | select name,used,@{Name="Available Size (in GB)";Expression={[math]::truncate($_.Available/1gb)}},@{Name="Total Size (in GB)";Expression={[math]::truncate($_.sizetotal/1gb)}} | ft -Autosize | Out-String

write-host "`n`nHere are the aggregates:`n`n" -foregroundcolor yellow

get-naaggr | select name,@{Name="Total Size (in GB)";Expression={[math]::truncate($_.totalsize/1gb)}},used,@{Name="Available Size (in GB)";Expression={[math]::truncate($_.available/1gb)}} | ft -Autosize | Out-String

write-host "`n`nand the snapmirror relationships:`n`n" -foregroundcolor yellow

get-navol | ? {$_.used -gt 80} | get-nasnapmirror | select source,destination | ft -Autosize | Out-String

write-host "`n`n"

$yes = New-Object System.Management.Automation.Host.ChoiceDescription "&Yes",""

$no = New-Object System.Management.Automation.Host.ChoiceDescription "&No",""

$choices = [System.Management.Automation.Host.ChoiceDescription[]]($yes,$no)

$caption = "Volume Increase"

$message = "Would you like to increase one of the volumes?"

$result = $Host.UI.PromptForChoice($caption,$message,$choices,0)

if($result -eq 0) { volincrease }

if($result -eq 1) { exit }

} while (1 -gt 0)

KARL_BUSTAMANTE

Check out my script for powershell examples :         http://mymsworld.kahsky.com/?p=54

This works actually only for Cluster mode, I'll add some 7-mode utilities soon.

Cheers,

Karl

JSHACHER11

thanks guys!

Public