Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

powershell cmdlet to check whehter 7mode controller is up or down

Aravind

Hi,

Can somebody point me to the powershell cmdlet which can be used to check whether the 7mode controller is up or down.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JGPSHNTAP

Again, this is not that difficult. 

If you are insistent on using powershell, use test-connection.   

I think you can mark this closed

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

JGPSHNTAP

What's wrong with Ping

Shashanka

If a Controller is down, then the 'Connect-NaController' cmdlet itself should fail. You can catch the error.

Or as said above, Ping should suffice.

Aravind

thanks for the reply Shashanka,

but the Connect-NaController' cmdlet can fail with many other errors out of which wrong credentials is one of them.

I need to catch the specific error for the scenario where the controller is down or not reachable.

can you point me to some resources where i can get the specific errors thrown by powershell cmdlets? or in this scenario which  specific error object  needs to be catched?

like it is "NetApp.Ontapi.NaAuthException" in the case of wrong credentials.

JGPSHNTAP

Again, this is not that difficult. 

If you are insistent on using powershell, use test-connection.   

I think you can mark this closed

Aravind

thanks for the solution,

but where can i get document refernce for the  exceptions thrown by Netapp powershell toolkit cmdlets?

to perform better error handling

JGPSHNTAP

hmm.. are you building out intensive error handling. if not I wouldn't worry about it. I think you are overthinking things, i've been coding since 1.0, and i don't require what you are asking for

Aravind

ok i have a situation,

where i am running snapmirror update,but it fails throwing an error as there is no new data to update,

How can i handle this particaular situation without stoping my script execution,as this a valid error.

JGPSHNTAP

You shouldn't get an error, paste error here

Aravind

the error message is "Snapmirror error:source contains no new data; suspending transfer to destination"

JGPSHNTAP

Is this 7-mode or cdot. I am not seeing that behavior. Even if a snapmirror is up-to-date, it will transfer specific bytes to tell itself that and the lag woul dbe back at 0 What commands are you running Then run the same command from the commandline and then then snapmirror status -l

Shashanka

If you just want to bypass the error, then u can use the option 

-ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
Public