Subscribe
Accepted Solution

Administrativ Shares on NTFS Volumes

We need to have a folder shared called "Profiles" the share name have to be p$ The problem is, that we're not able to set permissions on this share. The Information Message: "This has been shared for administrative purpose. The share permission and file security cannot be set."

I know that windows OS has some default administration shares for sharing the local disks as such C$ D$ E$ and Admin$ Fax$ IPC$ Netlogon and at least Print$

p$ is no default administrativ share and is usable for a normal file share name...

Why it is not possible in netapp CIFS shares to use any single letter A$-Z$ for a default file share?

Re: Administrativ Shares on NTFS Volumes

Hi,

Anything shared with a $ at the end of the name becomes a hidden administrative share so you cannot change permissions on it. Create a share without the $ at the end.

I have a lot of $ shares and use them specifically to set permissions on subdirectories. In ONTAP 8 I've been using the C$ share exclusively.

There really shouldn't be any issues with setting the permissions; provided the file system security is NTFS and the account you're using to change permissions has the permission to do so, and the directory is not within a SV destination. When changing the permissions of the directory shared you should see a warning stating that doing so could be bad mojo.

What does the output of 'cifs shares p$' look like?

And, 'fsecurity show /vol/<path>/<to>/Profiles'?

ONTAP version?

Windows version?

Don

How do you change permissions? CLI, Filer View, Windows MMC?

What is the location of this folder? Is it sitting in one of the admin shares path?

Reena Gupta

Hello

Yes any shared Directory with a $ is hidden, but not automatecly an

administrativ share. If I make a share like data$ I'm able to chang

permissions. however!

Hello

I've tried to do ther permissions in windows MMC

here is the whole path from de directory I have to share:

qtree:

profiles\profiles

thats the folder I want to share. If I do the share with "pr$" it works

well but not wiht a single letter... the problem is, that we have to

migrate all user profiles from the old storage system on the netapp and

that the share on the old system is p$. If we would create an other

share name on the netapp, we have to change all active directory entries

from all users...

Windows can only handle default windows hidden shares, which are created on a windows server. To set permissions on netapp hidden shares with only one letter, you have to do it either on the console or on the web interface "filer-view". It is no problem to set permissions ond single letter hidden shares there.