Network and Storage Protocols

CIFS/Offline Files Disconnections Windows 7 / onTAP 7.3.2

DOOLEY_DO_3

Hi,

We are running onTAP 7.3.2 with Windows 7 x64 SP1 clients using offline files to locally sync files from their Active Directory home folder.  These clients randomly seem to disconnect from the filer leaving an Event ID 9 on the Offline Files event viewer operational log.  Around a minute later they will reconnect, logging an event ID 10.  During the period between the 9 and 10 events no access to data on the home drive is available, other than that cached by Windows and Offline files.

If Offline Files are not used the mapped drive to the home directory is stable.

Windows XP does not have an issue.

Disabling SMB2 on the W7 client fixes the problem but this isn't a real solution.

I have a case open with MS on this too but wondered if this community has any useful input?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

AGUMADAVALLI

Upgrade the Ontap 8.1.2, and it is bug you are hitting.

thank you

AK G

DOOLEY_DO_3

Can you or anyone else point me to a reference for this bug? Thanks

DOOLEY_DO_3

Could it be this one which I found in the changelog from 7.3.2 to 7.3.3RC1?

371303 Windows client hangs while canceling a SMB 2.0 change notify request CIFS 2   Fixed 

AGUMADAVALLI

I think it is so, but there are many other bugs related to CIFS or SMB2 are fixed in 8.1.2. Better you upgrade the environment to 8.1.2

thank you

AK G

DOOLEY_DO_3

Thanks, this is a tricky one as it is a very large environment so the upgrade isn't something we can just do.  We need to be confident that the upgrade would certainly fix this issue so it might rely on us setting up a filer in VMware with 8.1.2 on and performing some testing.  I was hoping there would be something we could do on the Windows end to resolve this but Microsoft have pretty much exhausted all their hotfixes etc.

Where can I find a definitive bug list for 7.3.2?

Thanks

AGUMADAVALLI

It is so old and you may not get accurate pin point it and netapp have rotated their bugs history many a time. There were many versions rolled after your version (outdated). Sorry for the inconvenience.

thank you,

AK G

Public