Network and Storage Protocols

CIFS - creating new mount points on the volume

UNDECIDED

Hi all, I've got a FAS2020, I've configured a volume to use all the space on my netapp, this is called VOL1.

I've got CIFS licensed, and I created my first share called "Office" successfully by going into CIFS and clicking ADD, putting in my new share name, for the moint point I've put in "vol/vol1" and the share is created....however any new share I create shows me the same data as in the "Office" share. The moint points are the same as I want them on the same volume....but obviously I need to create individual moint points per share...I would have thought ontap would do this automatically for me....I've searched to see if there is any other way to do this and I can't manage, I tried the CLI and "options ftpd.enable on"...but I cant FTP to it for some reason...

Is there some easy step I'm missing here?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jonathon_lanzon

Q-trees are what you are after. I know you have said you have done this, but here are the steps you need to take.

Let's assume you are creating the following volume structure on your NetApp:

aggr0

- vol1

-share1

-share2

-share3

Here are the CLI steps to achive this (assuming vol1 has already been created):

1. Create qtrees

> qtree create /vol/vol1/share1 -m ntfs

> qtree create /vol/vol1/share2 -m ntfs

> qtree create /vol/vol1/share3 -m ntfs

2. Now create your CIFS shares

> cifs shares -add share1 /vol/vol1/share1

> cifs shares -add share2 /vol/vol1/share2

> cifs shares -add share3 /vol/vol1/share3

That's it! Obviously substitute share1, share2, share3 with the shares you want to create.

I'd also suggest setting up proper security on the shares, rather than Everyone Full Access.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

UNDECIDED

Just to add to this, it's the latest Ontap and is joined to my domain....

anyone any ideas?

thanks

UNDECIDED

bump, anyone please?

aborzenkov

You have to give (as mountpoint) exact path to folder you want to share. Folder must exist, filer does not create it for you.

You can either create qtree on filer or share top level volume (that you effectively have done) and create directories below from (Windows) client.

UNDECIDED

Thanks, but I've created the top share, connected with Windows client, created other folders, then went back to netapp and tried connecting to newly created folder as mount point and this hasn't worked wither...I've also created a qtree and couldn't connect to his as a mount point when setting up a new cifs share pointing to the new qtree name/mount point...

aborzenkov

Please show output of “cifs shares”

jonathon_lanzon

Q-trees are what you are after. I know you have said you have done this, but here are the steps you need to take.

Let's assume you are creating the following volume structure on your NetApp:

aggr0

- vol1

-share1

-share2

-share3

Here are the CLI steps to achive this (assuming vol1 has already been created):

1. Create qtrees

> qtree create /vol/vol1/share1 -m ntfs

> qtree create /vol/vol1/share2 -m ntfs

> qtree create /vol/vol1/share3 -m ntfs

2. Now create your CIFS shares

> cifs shares -add share1 /vol/vol1/share1

> cifs shares -add share2 /vol/vol1/share2

> cifs shares -add share3 /vol/vol1/share3

That's it! Obviously substitute share1, share2, share3 with the shares you want to create.

I'd also suggest setting up proper security on the shares, rather than Everyone Full Access.

UNDECIDED

Thanks Jonathon, I did try with Qtree but never used the CLI, so perhaps the -m switch will make the difference!

Rgds

Costas

TechRavish

Hi all 

Can anyone please suggest me how to get a volume path of an existing volume which is necessary for creating the cifs share for that volume.

I have created the volume without any qtrees.

I'm using Netapp Reease 8.3.

here the command: cifs -add is not working instead of that we are using command: cifs share create -sharename -path (path of volume which I don't know how to get from volumes)

Thanks

Nikhil Jose

aborzenkov

You must mount the volume in SVM; you do it by creating a junction path. This path is the path you use in sharing it.

mohanarengan

Still I'm facing issue in creating share...Volume & qtree already exist...Please advise..

s199f013>
s199f013> cifs shares -add E199_G10001$ /vol/s199f001_nas_vol002/E199_G10001
The share name 'E199_G10001$' will not be accessible by some MS-DOS workstations
Directory "/vol/s199f001_nas_vol002/E199_G10001" does not exist.
s199f013>

Public