Network and Storage Protocols

CIFS vFiler Migration to Cluster Mode

TMADOCTHOMAS

I have seen some contradictory information on migrating a CIFS vFiler in 7-Mode to a CIFS Server in an SVM in Cluster Mode and would like to see if anyone can provide some clarity.

First, the basics: I have six vFilers to migrate, each going into their own SVM.  For all of them, we are preserving the identity of the vFiler - i.e. we want the name to stay the same once it is functional in Cluster Mode.  For five of the six, we want to migrate the IP address as well.  For one of them we want a new IP.

I was under the impression that in order to preserve the vFiler's identity, I had to create a temporary CIFS server on the Cluster Mode system during the 7MTT migration.  At cutover, I would terminate CIFS on the 7-mode system, tear down the CIFS server on the Cluster Mode system, and recreate it with the identity of the vFiler from the 7-Mode system.  We would then complete the migration.

However, having read tr-4336, page 61, and the 7MTT 2.0 Data and Configuration Transition Guide, page 58, it appears that I have it backwards.  These documents appear to say that, before pre-cutover, I need to terminate CIFS on the 7-mode system, tear down the vFiler on the 7-Mode system, and recreate it with a temporary name before pre-cutover.  I would then need to create the new CIFS Server on the cluster mode system using the identity of the original vFiler.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has performed migration of CIFS vFilers.  The main things I'm trying to determine are:

1. Do I need a temporary CIFS Server on the Cluster Mode system, or a temporary vFiler on the 7-Mode system?  Or do we need all three running at the same time - the original vFiler and a temporary vFiler AND CIFS Server?
  2. If the latter, if the goal is to preserve the 7-Mode configuration information so it can be transitioned, how is that possible if I am creating a new vFiler, presumably using the same root volume as before, which wipes out the original configuration?

Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated!

25 REPLIES 25
Public