Network and Storage Protocols

Can anyone please explain the meaning of below NetApp Syslog and how do you fix this...

flexirent

Console Comment: NetApp Log Error

Found on log 'Netapp.log (759038449, 519233093)' of server PRODSYD014P:

2009-10-01 19:05:31     Kernel.Error     

FLXSYDSAN01 Oct  1 19:05:32 [flxsydsan01: scsi.path.excessiveErrors:error]: Excessive errors encountered by adapter 1b on disk device 1b.44.

We are getting the abover error every night, we have monitoring setup and we are getting the abover errors.

FLXSYDSAN01 is the name of our SAN btw.

PRODSYD014P is one of the servers.

Thanks a lot.

Aman

9 REPLIES 9

tatlee

Arman,

This looks like h/w issue. See this similiar kb52902 .

Regards,

Terrence

flexirent

Thanks Terrence

BrendonHiggins

Hi, welcome to the comminity

You could try the now site's syslog translator

https://now.netapp.com/eservice/ems

Hope it helps

Bren

flexirent

Thanks Brendon

amiller_1

Agreed as to it most likely being a hardware issue -- I'd get a case open with support to have them offer some analysis based off the AutoSupport error logs.

flexirent

Thanks Andrew

flexirent

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for everyone's input with my enquiry.

I have logged a call with Support for Netapp and they are still investigating the issue but they have requested us to Powercycle the SAN so that should be interesting and it will take some time as over 100 VMs are sitting on it... 🙂

I received the same error in one of our other aggr with another disk so not sure what is causing this but a new shelf of disks was added last week by Netapp, not sure if its related or not though...

Thanks again

Cheers,

Aman

erick_moore

That doesn't sound right!  Is this disk part of a raid-DP aggregate?  Do you have a hot spare?  Have you tried to fail the disk?

eric_barlier

sounds like a dodgy disk at this point. I wouldnt worry about this unless tech support tell you to.

I do wonder if the new shelves were hot-added, my guess is they were. power cycling as a fix is pretty rough

but sometimes it makes sense. Next time consider getting down time when adding shelves just to allow

for a recycling which can be good for most FCAL loops.

Eric

Public