Can't get ConvertTo-NcVhd to work on vmdk in an NFS datastore on cluster mode

LENNYBBROWN

First the basics:

8.2 cluster mode

SVM named: epsn001

NFS export: esvcc_nfs_migration

Path in export to vmdk: /DEVWS180/DEVFS180.vmdk

Commands:

Connect-NcController -Name {IP address to cluster management port here} -Credential $cred {credential is for admin}

ConvertTo-NcVhd -SourceVmdk /epsn001/esvcc_nfs_migration/DEVWS180/DEVFS180.vmdk

Results in:

WARNING: This cmdlet may have limited functionality without administrator privileges.
ConvertTo-NcVhd : CreateFile (open volume) failed
At C:\Users\epusoelb6081\Documents\convert.ps1:8 char:1
+ ConvertTo-NcVhd -SourceVmdk /epsn001/esvcc_nfs_migration/DEVWS180/DEVWS180.vmdk ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [ConvertTo-NaVhd], Exception
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.Exception,DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.HyperV.ConvertToNaVhd

Has anyone managed to get this command to work in cluster mode on a vmdk in an NFS datastore?  The docs for ConvertTo-NcVhd appear to be a copy/paste of ConvertTo-NaVhd and include the language and examples specifying /vol/{volume} path (which doesn't work either) which I wouldn't expect to work in cluster mode since you need to be able to specify the SVM of the vmdk.

2 REPLIES 2

billyd

Have you tried running your Powershell window 'As Administrator'?  That seems to be the first issue.

I believe you also need to declare the destination for your VHD file by adding -DestinationVHD parameter.

You also need to connect directly to the VSM instead of the cluster.  Add -VServer parameter to your connect command.

Let me know if that doesn't solve your issue.

Aparajita

"-SourceVmdk /epsn001/esvcc_nfs_migration/DEVWS180/DEVFS180.vmdk"

I believe this is where the problem lies. The path here should just be the volume path "/vol/esvcc_nfs_migration/DEVWS180/DEVFS180.vmdk", not "vserver/volume".

Public