Network and Storage Protocols

Data Migration from HP

gaverma123

Hi All

I am looking for some solution for migrating data (Around 150Tb)from HP Works to NetApp filer. Environment is mixed with Unix and Windows. I heard about robocopy but I think its not good solution for that much amount of data. Also if some one can suggest some thing apart of rsync.

Thanks

Gaurav

8 REPLIES 8

BrendonHiggins

150Tb from HP to NetApp.  I would be into the sales team and get them to help FOC as part of an 'special pricing' bid.

I have used robocopy going from HSG80 to FAS3070 but is was only about 100Gb of CIFS with limited shares.

Hope this helps

Bren

gaverma123

Thanks for Quick reply. I did not know what is FOC. But my concern is Robocopy was okay with 100Gb but if any one have any idea about any other tool which can be suitable for big amount of data.

Thanks

Gaurav

BrendonHiggins

Sorry Free of Charge.

jcarrieri15

What type of date CiFS/NFS and FC (Block level). I have done large migrations from HP to EMC gear and EMC has Storage tools as well as host based tools to do the migartions and they will usually give you a network based tool (especially if you are coming off a competitor to their EMC gear). They have several Heteorogenous network migration tools (Invista, RecoverPoint, RainFinity) that will do the migration seamlessly in the background with little or no downtime, of course that depends --- I would check with Netapp to see if they have a similiar program --

gaverma123

Hi Buddy

Thanks for help. This is NAS based environment. I will be thankful if you can get some information about HP - Netapp migration.

Thanks

Gaurav

jcarrieri15

For NAS I would seriously look for a GFV (Global File Virtualization) hardware device with Global Namespace-- moving 150TB using rsync, robocopy, etc will take A LONG time- not to mention robocopy wont move open files and you will need a down time to migrate the share and wait for the files to finish syncing up.. Not to mention you will need to tell all your clients where the new share/mount point is -- GFV will take care of this -- I guess it will be based on you environment, cost, etc

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Application-Development/How-to-Implement-File-Virtualization-and-a-Global-Namespace/1/

Joe Carrieri

Packet360

Principal Architect

Advanced Technology Solutions Group

804.502.4933 (mobile)

804.545.4724 (office)

www.packet360.com

VIKAS_AGGARWAL

Gaurav,

If you are planning to do it yourself, consider free tools like LVM mirroring or DD or RSYNC.

LVM Mirroring is ideal for any type of data and requires less down time (< an hour).

RSYNC is ideal if ‘file system’ data, and requires longer down time (few hours) depends on the rate of data change.

If planning to outsource, please consult with your NetApp sales or EM. Vicom offers appliance based fixed price simple and fast migration service (1.2 TB/Hour) with service guarantee (~$2K to 3K/server). This includes discovery, planning, preparation, appliance based migration and post-migration clean-up. No need to buy special hardware or software. Vicom is NetApp CDP. Migrated so far 5.5 PB of data and 250+ engagements.

Check out

http://www.vicom.com/solutions/solutions_vicom.htm

http://www.netapp.com/us/services/professional/san-data-migration.html

FYI, I am Vicom employee. Mail me if you need help in doing the migration yourself using free tools or regarding migration service.

-Vikas Aggarwal

gaverma123

Thanks for Help, this work is for my environment only and I am looking for Third party free tool. I think LVM can be good options. Can any one describe about LVM.

Gaurav

Public