Network and Storage Protocols

Failover Monitor: CIFS: Giveback cancelled due to active state

ASRARGUNA

Hello All,

I have 2 filers in HA pair Filer-1 and Filer-2. On Filer-1, i did cf takeover and it tookover Filer-2 fine. Now when I am trying to do cf giveback on Filer-1, it gives error:

Filer-1(takeover)> [Filer-1:cf.misc.operatorGiveback:info]: Failover monitor: giveback initiated by operator 

Wed Aug 28 17:47:38 AST [Filer-2:cifs.terminationFailed:error]: CIFS: CIFS did not shut down: There are CIFS users with open files on the partner node.  All CIFS sessions for the partner node must be closed prior to giveback. 

Wed Aug 28 17:47:38 AST [Filer-1:cf.rsrc.givebackVeto:error]: Failover monitor: cifs: giveback cancelled due to active state 

Wed Aug 28 17:47:38 AST [Filer-1:cf.fm.givebackCancelled:warning]: Failover monitor: giveback cancelled

I did cifs terminate on filer-1 and it stopped CIFS service but cf giveback doesn't work at all. Same error as above. That is because CIFS is running on Filer-2. How can I stop that? Shell is not supported on takeover partner!

Should I do Filer-1 (takeover)> cifs giveback -f

If i use cifs giveback -f, will there be any risk?

I would really appreciate any response.

Thanks - AG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

billshaffer

You can do a giveback -f, but I don't like doing so because if there are other issues you're unaware of, -f will override them, too - though I'm sure plenty of people will say that -f is fine.

In takeover mode, on the node that has taken over the partner, you can issue the "partner" command.  This puts you into a virtual shell on the node that was taken over.  The prompt will say something like "filer1 (filer2)>".  This is where you should do the cifs terminate.  Then issue "partner" again, and it will bring you back to the other node.

Bill

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

billshaffer

You can do a giveback -f, but I don't like doing so because if there are other issues you're unaware of, -f will override them, too - though I'm sure plenty of people will say that -f is fine.

In takeover mode, on the node that has taken over the partner, you can issue the "partner" command.  This puts you into a virtual shell on the node that was taken over.  The prompt will say something like "filer1 (filer2)>".  This is where you should do the cifs terminate.  Then issue "partner" again, and it will bring you back to the other node.

Bill

ASRARGUNA

Bill, You my friend are a STAR

Thank You - AG

shashii82

Thank you Bill for the brief explanation and commands. It worked like a charm.

DanKadam

Thanks BIll it worked perfect

partner on the taken over node

then cifs terminate ----it tokk 3-4 extra minutes have patience

cf giveback

AMG

Thank you!!

Public