Subscribe
Accepted Solution

How can I use symbolic link to split a CIFS volume?

Hi Experts,

We have a volume primarily use for CIFS. It is growing too big therefore we want to migrate some of the content to another volume, however we cannot break the path, so I need to leave some kind of junction point. Will symbolic link achieve this?

Thanks,

Maico

Re: How can I use symbolic link to split a CIFS volume?

You could do this and it will work using widelinks.  We used this at customers when there were stricter dedup (asis) limits to have the ability to stitch together multiple volumes with dedup without exceeding the dedup limit on older ONTAP versions (not an issue now with 8.1 unlimited to max vol size and was not much of an issue with the 16TB limit in 8.0).  You basically have a symbolic link created from a linux/unix client and use symlink.translations to map the location to another share and the users see the link as a folder within the same path.

Hi Scott,

Are you saying that in 8.1, flexible volume is not limited to 16TB anymore? This is actually the main reason we are trying to split the contents of the CIFS volume. We are in 8.0 and we are limited to 16Tb.

Thanks,

Maico

8.1 changes the limit to the max vol size for the platform now J

How do I setup the max vol size?

Thanks,

Maico

Create an aggregate the max size then a volume in it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Hi Scott,

Sorry, I did not catch that. What do you mean ‘create an aggregate the max size’?

Maico

Then sis start and sis config.

A fas3270 for example has a Max vol size of 70tb. With 8.1 you can dedup that now

How about V3240 or FAS3240?.. So essentially with 8.1 I can create a thin-provision Flex volume more than 16TB and that can be deduped?

Right now we are in 8.0 and it won’t let me create a flex vol more than 16TB.

Sorry, but I still don’t know where to adjust the max volume size.

Maico

202.403.5204 (Office)

202.445.3640 (Mobile)