Network and Storage Protocols

How to determine a file is accessed by unix or windows in Mixed qtree style?

Horizon22

Hi All,

We are doing a migration activity and we came accross a scenario where we have mixed qtree in source that has files with windows and unix style.

when I try copying with beyond compare, I see all the windows fies are copied and when I do rsync the remaining unix files are copied.

Th mixed qtree consists of huge number of files. Please suggest me how to check the file security style as all the files are visible via windows but only few can be copied with Beyond Compare.  
PS: I am trying to copy for mixed qtree to either ntfs or unix volume and have admin rights. 

9 REPLIES 9

Jeff_Yao

there's command "fsecurity" can show u the active security style of file/dir/vol.

Horizon22

Hi Yaoguang,

That should work. I dont know that fsecurity can be used for files also. 

When I migrated the data from Mixed to NTFS,, Unix files are not visible on windows share. But they are visible on unix machines. Can you please guide me how to make unix files visible on windows?

Thanks in advance. 

Jeff_Yao

just try to understand your situation.

why not migrate from mix to mix?

Horizon22

I really wish I could do that. But our guidlines are to make new environment NTFS as much as possible. 
So for most of them when we do this Unix to ntfs, we are going for user mapping or force group and we make the users access them like before.
But now mixed to NTFS is chnallenging!

Thanks. 

Jeff_Yao

ok... before you migrate, can you see all the files(ntfs and unix security style) from your windows file browser? should be yes, right? 

Horizon22

Yes!!

Jeff_Yao

so change the security style to ntfs from mix on the source before you migrate. you should still be able to browse all the files from windows - if this is ok.(before proceed that, take a snapshot. just in case) then proceed your migration with like "volume copy" or "ndmpcopy" or sanpmirror these kind of netapp command.

Horizon22

I am afraid that I can't. As it is prod and I dont want to disturb it. Still thats a good idea thought. 

Jeff_Yao

but that's not a prob at all. you can just use ndmpcopy to copy everything over to a mixed volume/qtree on your dest. then test this over there, right? as ur dest is still under testing, you can try this

Public