Network and Storage Protocols

Migrating Windows 2k3 Files server to a FAS2020

ademuynck

Hie everybody,

I need some recommandation to  lead a migration from a Windows 2k3 files server to a FAS2020.

Actually, my customer have two files servers under Win 2k3, and i have to migrate this two files servers to a FAS2020.

I want to have the possibility to deploy a HyperV infrastructure once files server have been migrated.

So, i think to create CIFS shares, on my FAS2020, integrate my FAS2020 under Active Directory, and migrate data from windows files servers, through robocopy.

Then, to ensure virtualization, i think to create one raid group with one volume dedicated for virtualization. Is it alright for you ?

FAS2020, for NAS functionnality will be attack throught CIFS, and for SAN it will be attack throught iSCSI.

A vlan is planned for isolate iSCSI traffic.

Some recommandations ?

Thanks in advance

Bests regards.

9 REPLIES 9

BrendonHiggins

Robocopy is the way but more ideas here.  http://communities.netapp.com/message/17851#17851

Hope it helps

Bren

ogra

Hi,

I think your customer has 2 requirements :

1) Windows File Server Consolidation - Robocopy will suffice ,after you integrated the controller in the AD.

2) Hyper-V Infrastructure Setup  - For this you

Before proceeding , you should be clear about the sizing of the storage for optimal performance.

Then, to ensure virtualization, i think to create one raid group with one volume dedicated for virtualization. Is it alright for you ?

Well for this you need not create a new Raid Group, you can use the existing Aggregate and create a new Flexible Volume for iSCSI.

Well, for Hyper-V be sure on the count of VM's going to sit on the storage. Since it's a FAs2020 with limited n/w ports go for Multi-Vif' and configure NFO to have the redundancy

All the Best !!!

ademuynck

Thanks a lot for yours answers !

So for HyperV, just few VM will be on the FAS2020 (about 10 VMs).

I keep my aggregate (the same for my CIFS share), and i create a new iscsi volume for my VM, is it alright ?

So and last question for backup.

For my CIFS share, i will mounting it on my backup server, and backup with a BackupExec.

So for my iscsi volume, i can also mount it on my backup server, and backup it with BackupExec ? is it functionnal ?

Thanks a lot.

ogra

I keep my aggregate (the same for my CIFS share), and i create a new iscsi volume for my VM, is it alright ?

Yes, It's absolutely fine.

For my CIFS share, i will mounting it on my backup server, and backup with a BackupExec.

So for my iscsi volume, i can also mount it on my backup server, and backup it with BackupExec ? is it functionnal ?

Well, check if you have a NDMP license on BackupExec, if yes you don't need to mount the share/or take host based backup. If no, you need to implement Host-Based Backup.

Host Based Backup Means - DataFlow happens from Storage->Host->Tape. ( Hence, you have to depend on the Host for Backup  ).

Host-Free-Backup Means - Dataflow happens from Storage->Tape ( This requires NDMP license on the BackupExec as on storage its free, you just need to set it up).

In worst case, you won't have NDMP license on BackupExec, hence for taking the backup of CIFS shares, yes you need to mount the share and take backup.

For Your iSCSI volume, you need to take backup directly from the Hyper-V server over the ethernet via Backup-Server and then the backup will be completed. ( Normal way of backing up a server ). But you can't mount this drive on Backup server. It won't work.

Hope it helps !!!

ademuynck

Ok thanks.

For NDMP, effectively, i know i need this option to backup my SAN directly.

But my customer want to add another FAS next year, to permit disk to disk backup, in order to delete tape backup.

So last question, really :d

I trie to work with Netapp Synergie, but i don't understand anything !

To calculate my FAS model... My customer want a SAN of 4To. So he plan 20% increase every year...

for me a FAS2020HA, with 12 disk of 600G SAS will be ok, to ensure 4To the first year. Next, it will mean my customer have to buy DS14 shelves, to increase SAN capacity.

But, it is important for me to have 4To available first year...

Is it ok with a FAS2020HA 12*600G ?

Thanks a lot !

You're very helpful !

ogra

ademuynck wrote:

So last question, really :d

I trie to work with Netapp Synergie, but i don't understand anything !

To calculate my FAS model... My customer want a SAN of 4To. So he plan 20% increase every year...

for me a FAS2020HA, with 12 disk of 600G SAS will be ok, to ensure 4To the first year. Next, it will mean my customer have to buy DS14 shelves, to increase SAN capacity.

But, it is important for me to have 4To available first year...

Is it ok with a FAS2020HA 12*600G ?

To answer this, is 4TB usable/RAW  ?? Most customer say usable space only. But after this you also have to consider the no. for Snapshot he wishes to keep online on the Storage & for how many days ?

You have to include this as well into the sizing aspect. If 4TB is total without considering Snapshot space. I have attached the report I pulled from Synergy. It's a fairly easy task.  ( I have considered Snapshot reserve =20% and Fractional Reserve = 100% ).

You can simply log-in to Synergy - > Quick Platform Selector - > Input your requirements of Usable Space, Disk Drive Type, and pickup your controller. The best part is you can export this into a BOM .doc file as well.

PS : Please review this .doc file before quoting the solution.

-Bakshana

ademuynck

Thanks a lot for answering.

So what does means Fractional Reserve ? What is it utility ?

Thanks

radek_kubka

Hi,

It is not a utility - it's a setting.

This is a very good place to find a more thorough answer to your question (no need to reinvent the wheel 😞

http://communities.netapp.com/groups/chris-kranz-hardware-pro/blog/2009/03/05/fractional-reservation--lun-overwrite

Cheers,
Radek

Public