Network and Storage Protocols

Mount a CIFS share on Unix server?

netappmagic

A volume would have to be exported from a filer, and then be mounted on a Unix (Linux) server. However, if we install a service for NFS on a Window server, it could be mounted on Windows as well.

My question is, is there any way similar to mount NFS share on window, I can mount a CIFS share on a Linux server? If there is, how do I do that? any documented steps?

Thanks in advance for your help!

10 REPLIES 10

sharmadevender

Use NFS client for windows..

netappmagic

Your answer seems not for my question.

I am asking for mounting CFS shares on Unix server

sharmadevender

Here are the steps.

1.) Check for cifs-util package.

[root@dev-linux ~]# rpm -qa | grep -i cifs-util

cifs-utils-5.4-1.fc17.x86_64

if cifs-util package doesnot exist, install it.

2.) create a cifs share on NetApp appliance.

> cifs shares -add share1 /vol/test

> cifs shares

share1       /vol/test
                        everyone / Full Control

3.) Mount share1 to linux.

[root@dev-linux ~]# mount -t cifs 192.168.234.5:/share1 /mnt -o username=administrator
Password:

once you enter this command it will ask you for administrator password {created during cifs setup}.

4.) Validate mount point

[root@dev-linux /]# df -h /mnt
Filesystem             Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
192.168.234.5:/share1  809M  138M  672M  18% /mnt

Hope it will help

-DEV

netappmagic

Hi DEV,

your message seems very informational. However, I am having problems to install the rpm package. Have you encountered the same error? maybe you can quickly point out where is the problem is?

# rpm -ivh /tmp/cifs-utils-5.4-1.fc17.x86_64.rpm

warning: /tmp/cifs-utils-5.4-1.fc17.x86_64.rpm: Header V3 RSA/SHA256 signature: NOKEY, key ID 1aca3465

error: Failed dependencies:

keyutils is needed by cifs-utils-5.4-1.fc17.x86_64

libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.14)(64bit) is needed by cifs-utils-5.4-1.fc17.x86_64

libcap-ng.so.0()(64bit) is needed by cifs-utils-5.4-1.fc17.x86_64

libtalloc.so.2()(64bit) is needed by cifs-utils-5.4-1.fc17.x86_64

libtalloc.so.2(TALLOC_2.0.2)(64bit) is needed by cifs-utils-5.4-1.fc17.x86_64

libwbclient.so.0()(64bit) is needed by cifs-utils-5.4-1.fc17.x86_64

rpmlib(FileDigests) <= 4.6.0-1 is needed by cifs-utils-5.4-1.fc17.x86_64

rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) <= 5.2-1 is needed by cifs-utils-5.4-1.fc17.x86_64

sharmadevender

These are the dependencies, which is required by cifs-util package. for eg

it says "keyutils is needed by cifs-utils-5.4-1.fc17.x86_64". You need to install Keyutils rpm first before installing cifs-util and so on for other dependencies.

PBANHOLZER

have you already solved your problem?

what kind of Linux /  Unix do you have? In a Debian System you would use "apt-get install cifs-utils" - same on Ubuntu systems. In a RedHat system you would use "yum install cifs-utils" and after successful installation the mount command as shown. (If you're using SLES just use Yast for installation)

KSV

try on the linux server and see if this helps

mount -t cifs -o username=USERNAME,password=PASSWORD,domain=ABC //Server/Share  /mnt/Share

Santosh_Dangle

Hello Team,
Hello Team,
Have a DM with CIFS Share. Trying to mount it on Windows and Linux both.
It mounts without any issues on Windows but on Linux, I am getting this error. Did anyone come across such an error?

jaydavis

Just snag the 'cifs-utils'  package, install it, and then fire up the trusty 'mount' command with the appropriate options.

Santosh_Dangle

Hello Jaydavis,

Thanks for your response.

On unix system we do have the cifs-utils. even we tried to build a new unix system with cifs-utils but i am still not able to mount the cifs on unix.

Is there anything needs to be done on the ontap to allow simultaneous mount on windows and unix?

Public