NDMPcopy - Data Migration

JCLENDENNEN

I'm undergoing requirements for a data migration from one FAS270
system to a FAS2240. I currently have NFS and LUNs residing on the FAS270 with
snapshots and will be going from a 32 bit volume to a 64 bit volume. It would
appear that NDMPcopy is the best way to migrate this data from one system to
another given the requirements. I'm trying to understand if I need to take my
FAS270 system from 7.1 to 7.3 prior to performing the NDMP copy. Is this a
requirement or can I go ahead and perform NDMPcopy running 7.1?

Thanks in advanced,

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottgelb

Should be fine since 7.1 can also run a matching ndmpd version 3 or 4... qtree snapmirror may also be a good route since it supports multiple incrementals.  If you don't have qtrees you can specify /vol/volname/- as the source to grab non-qtree data then put it in a qtree on the target.  ndmpcopy only supports dump levels 0,1,2 so you get 2 incrementals after the full.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

scottgelb

Should be fine since 7.1 can also run a matching ndmpd version 3 or 4... qtree snapmirror may also be a good route since it supports multiple incrementals.  If you don't have qtrees you can specify /vol/volname/- as the source to grab non-qtree data then put it in a qtree on the target.  ndmpcopy only supports dump levels 0,1,2 so you get 2 incrementals after the full.

JCLENDENNEN

Great! Thanks for the quick reply.

John

scottgelb

One other thought...the 2240 only runs 8.1.. and 8.1 supports volume snapmirror from 32 to 64... so you could try volume snapmirror... on snapmirror break the volume converts to 64 bit.  There were some BURTs with this but stay on the latest patch release and check the BURTs... but volume snapmirror may be an option for you.

Public