Subscribe

Re: NFS 4.1 (aka NFS4.1 aka NFSv4.1) Configuration for VMware vSphere 6.0 / ESXi 6.0

Please create a default export policy and default export policy rule for NFSV4.1_SVM with clientmatch of 0.0.0.0/0. It may resolve your issue. I have faced the same issue before.

Re: NFS 4.1 (aka NFS4.1 aka NFSv4.1) Configuration for VMware vSphere 6.0 / ESXi 6.0

[ Edited ]

@Naveenpusuluru  Thanks for the tip about the default policy and default rule with a clientmatch of 0.0.0.0/0. I will check to make sure this exists on the NFSv4.1 storage virtual machine.

Just curious, have you successfully connected a VMware ESXi 6.0 host to a NetApp NFSv4.1 export?

Sorry, i have never tested that. But it is the process to maintain default policy for each and every vserver.

Sorry for being late to the Party.

I also thing the problem is your default export policy, which is assigned to your NFS41_SVM root Volume. If you compare the default export policy from your NFS_SVM with your NFS41_SVM policy I am pretty sure you will find the missing part by yourself. Smiley Happy

Your volume vol3_nfs is mounted under the root volume NFS41_SVM_root.

/                                (your root volume with the default policy)

vol3_nfs                (your nfs volume with the ESXi_NFS41_Policy)

Now your ESX Server want to mount the vol3_nfs .... and yes, you gave your ESX Hosts everything that he needs for that volume.

BUT he first have to look (read) inside the root volume / to see the volume vol3_nfs. At this point your default policy appears, acts like Gandalf and tell your ESX Host "You shall not pass!". So you have to change your default policy in that way, that the ESX Hosts have read permission on the root volume. Hope that’s the solution. If not, please let me know.

I have one customer that is using NFS4.1 with ESXi6. Please keep in mind, that there are some features that are not available with NFS4.1 (Storage DRS, Storage I/O Control, SRM and Virtual Volumes). Also NFS4.1 generates a higher CPU Utilisation at the storage controler.

Highlighted

Had a simillar problem.  The answer to my issue was to setup a policy for the svm's root volume as well as the svm's data volume (which is the volume I wanted to add all my vm's too)

san1::> volume modify -vserver nfs1 -policy nfs1pol -volume nfs1_root -user 0 -group 1 -security-style unix -unix-permissions ---rwxr-xr-x -comment "nfs policy"
Volume modify successful on volume nfs1_root of Vserver nfs1.

san1::> volume modify -vserver nfs1 -policy nfs1pol -volume vol1_NFS_volume -user 0 -group 1 -security-style unix -unix-permissions ---rwxr-xr-x -comment "nfs policy"
Volume modify successful on volume vol1_NFS_volume of Vserver nfs1.

You need to give permission for the esxi host to mount the root "/"  and not just the volume "/vol1_NFS_volume".

That fixed it for me..