Network and Storage Protocols

NetApp 2020 x2 filers - network ?

UNDECIDED

Hi all, just unpacked my first filer. I'm very new to NetApp but have read quite a bit on the subject of filers, snapmirrors cifs and vifs.

I just want to make sure I've got clarity on how to configure the networks to accomodate my scenario. So please offer your advice where you can.

The two filers will be in seperate buildings, the primary will host all the live data and the second will only contain asynchronous snapmirrors.

I will be using ISCSI for vmware, CIFS for the data shares. So as I understand it I will need two seperate networks, one for cifs access and the other for iscsi.

So I'm assuming because of the nature of the cifs, they don't need to be in a vlan, since clients will be accessing this from the regular network. And I can set the ISCSI for use on a vlan.

The filers have two controllers each.

So would I create a vif to contain port e0a from each controller on the one filer for iscsi and then port e0b from each controller on the filer to cifs.

Would I then do the same on the second filer?

Which vif would handle the snapmirroring?

And from the two cables coming from the two e0a ports, do I connect them to two seperate switches for load balancing.

Any help much appreciated.

14 REPLIES 14
Public