Network and Storage Protocols

Question regarding default quotas and reporting on CIFS share usage

mcardina2275

Hey all,

I have a quick question regarding quota reporting.

I have enabled "tree" quota's on a couple of my CIFS volumes.

* tree@/vol/volDG01 - -

* tree@/vol/volDG02 - -

The thought process behind this was to get CIFS share size usage information all in a nice list rather than going to each share and doing a "properties" on it in Windows.  I am not actually limiting any users/groups/trees.

Running the "quota report" command from the CLI does show me what I need to see so this part of my experiment is working.

Type                     ID              Volume               Tree          K-Bytes Used             Limit            Files Used           Limit              Quota Specifier

--------------           ---------          --------------         --------------       --------------------          --------------         -------------------     ---------------      -------------------------

tree                    1                    volDG01          xxxx                    1435728               -                    43147               -                    -/vol/volDG01/xxxx

My question is this:

Is there a way to "extract" this out of OnTap on a regular basis?  Maybe export to a text file or something?

I looked in DFM and did not see any way to generate this out of the canned reports or custom reports.  The only reference to quotas I can find are user quotas and I am not imposing them therefore there is no info.  Plus user quotas do not show me k-bytes used.

Is this wishfull thinking or am I just going about this all wrong?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

-Mike-

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rmharwood

I am not sure about DFM 3.8. I first noticed this issue in 4.0. Here is a link to the bug report:

https://now.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=422724

Again, make sure you use the "Diagnose Connectivity" link in DFM against the filer to make sure DFM can connect and authenticate.

Richard

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

rmharwood

The report in DFM you need is "qtrees-capacity". This seems like a very simple answer - perhaps I'm missing your point?

mcardina2275

Thanks for the quick response.  Maybe this will show you what I mean.

I ran the "qtree-capacity" report on all my volumes.

As you can see in the picture, I am not getting any data regarding the usage of the qtree.

The info that I wish to see is shown when I run the quota report command.

I wish to see K-Bytes used and the number of Files used per qtree.

Sorry for all the edits.  Had to take out customer information for security reasons.

rmharwood

So it looks like DFM is not picking up the qtree quota information. Ensure you are running DFM 4.0.1. There was a bug in 4.0 related to XML authentication that meant it wasn't picking up the qtree sizes. Other than that, run the connectivity test in DFM for that filer. Make sure it can authenticate on SSH and XML.

I know this works because I have DFM successfully doing what you want.

Richard

mcardina2275

Well....that sure would do it!

I am running version 3.8.0.6640 (3.8.1)

Do you know if this bug is present in that version?

If so...then I will need to upgrade.

Thanks for all your help!

-Mike-

rmharwood

I am not sure about DFM 3.8. I first noticed this issue in 4.0. Here is a link to the bug report:

https://now.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=422724

Again, make sure you use the "Diagnose Connectivity" link in DFM against the filer to make sure DFM can connect and authenticate.

Richard

mcardina2275

rmharwood,

I have run the dfm diag command and can connect to the Filer from Ops Manager.

It looks like the version of Ops Manager we are running contains the bug.

I will work to get it upgraded.

Thanks again for all your help!

It is much appreciated!

-Mike-

Public