Network and Storage Protocols

Reshare a CIFS Share

CTAVERAS200

Here is my issue.

I have a CIFS share with about 2TB of user data, we currently us Backup Exec to safeguard the Data.  Unfortunaly to back up the CIFS share I have to add the Filer to backup exec as an NDMP source.

after all was said and done we find out the hard way that BEXEC cannot Dedupe data when the source is NDMP....GREAT!!!  All of our backups are disk to disk but this has been going to tape...AND I HATE IT!

I want to go back to disk2disk.  Also to restore just one darn file BEXEC has to run through all 2TB of data before it even attempts a restore.

My question is it possible to RESHARE the CIFS share to a Virtual WIN server and have BEXEC backup the files through the Windows VM that way I can at least start to dedupe the data again and i can move away from tape...again.

Im sure backup will be slower but I can deal with it if i can go back to deduping the data again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

till_echterhof

yes, with a local backup exec remote agent on these windows vm you can backup your network share. you only need map your cifs share as network drive! but as you said it will be not very fast and it is not recommended..

if you choose your deduplication pool as media destination for your ndmp backup it will deduplicated at the target (on the pool). it's right that the data will not deduplicated at the source but at the destination (the pool).

different with a backup exec remote agent on a server, there are you able to deduplicate at the source and only need to send the "delta" to the backup server.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Public