Network and Storage Protocols

Setting Up .1q Trunking

jwolfanger01

All-

I am having issues setting up 802.1Q trunk with Cisco 6509 switch and Netapp 3140....When the encapsulation is set to trunk port vs access on the 6509 it doesn't see the svif interface....Any help is appreciated.  I can post either config from Netapp or Cisco.

Thanks in advanced!

Jeffrey

6 REPLIES 6

kritchie

Please post both the Cisco config as well as the /etc/rc lines from the NetApp.

mschoen123

Please see the attached configuration from the Cisco 6509's.  Note: there are multiple channel-group members, only one is shown. 
Also, the configuration shows switchport mode trunk.  It is currently set to access.  When set to trunk the flier IP address can not be seen.

paul_w_jackson

Here's the rc files for each filer:

#Auto-generated by cifs setup Tue Jan 18 11:15:49 EST 2011
#Auto-generated by setup Mon Jan 17 15:23:59 EST 2011
hostname ##############
vif create lacp mvif0 -b ip e0a e4a e4b
vif create lacp mvif1 -b ip e4c e0b e4d
vif create single svif0 mvif0 mvif1
ifconfig svif0 `hostname`-svif0 mediatype auto netmask 255.255.255.0 partner svif0
ifconfig e0M `hostname`-e0M flowcontrol full netmask 255.255.255.0 partner e0m
route add default ############## 1
routed on
options dns.enable on
options nis.enable off
savecore

#Auto-generated by cifs setup Tue Jan 18 11:22:43 EST 2011
#Auto-generated by setup Sun Jan 16 17:37:56 EST 2011
hostname ##############
vif create lacp mvif0 -b ip e4b e4a e0a
vif create lacp mvif1 -b ip e4c e0b e4d
vif create single svif0 mvif0 mvif1
ifconfig svif0 `hostname`-svif0 mediatype auto netmask 255.255.255.0 partner svif0
ifconfig e0M `hostname`-e0M flowcontrol full netmask 255.255.255.0 partner e0m
route add default ############## 1
routed on
options dns.domainname ##############
options dns.enable on
options nis.enable off
savecore

aborzenkov

Cisco is apparently setup to tag VLANs on trunk. If you have single VLAN on this aggregate I do not see what is wrong in using port in access mode. If you really need multiple VLANs you need to create matching vlan interface on filer for each one, like

vlan create svif0 345

for VLAN number 345

Please notice that version 7.x that you have cannot mix tagged and untagged (native) VLANs on the same physical interface. Of course, you can use it even for a single tagged VLAN, it just adds extra complexity without any advantage.

P.S. I am not really sure which interface should be used for VLAN creation in case of multi-level VIFs. I think it is top-level one, but I am really not sure

kritchie

For a dot1q trunk your port-channel interface needs to reflect mode  trunk.  You might want to enable spanning-tree on the port-channel  interface as well.

VLAN tagged interfaces should be made on the top level of the vif as aborzenkov points out.  He's also correct in that NetApp doesn't support untagged (native) vlans.  Assuming your native vlan is probably 1 or at least isn't 650 or 652, you don't need to worry about it.

So, for vlans 650 and 652 you'll need to add the following to the rc files before the ifconfig statements:

vlan create svif0 650 652

Furthermore, you'll then need to apply the IP addresses to the vlan tagged interfaces.

ifconfig svif0-650 ....

ifconfig svif0-652 ....

You won't be able to do this with the current configuration in place.  Either you need to do a:

ifconfig svif0 0.0.0.0 down

or you need to edit the /etc/rc and /etc/hosts files and reboot or cf takeover/giveback in each direction.  If you're going to use `hostname` in the ifconfig statement, you'll want to edit /etc/hosts to have hostname bos-equnas-1a-svif0-650 and hostname bos-equnas-1a-svif0-652 and similar for the other controller.  Make sure you then also append the vlan id to in the ifconfig statements.

Finally, the reason I advise customers to put vlan tagged interfaces into place for even a single vlan is that it's non-disruptive to add additional vlans once the dot1q trunk is setup.  If you want change from access mode to dot1q non-disruptively, you can use cf takeover and giveback to do so for everything but CIFS - that's if you don't make any mistakes in /etc/rc.  My opinion is do the hard work and testing up front before it goes into production.  Every additional vlan after that will be following the form you setup for the first vlan.

kritchie

BTW, you should read through the Network Administration Guide to make sure you're familiar with all the options available and proper syntax.  It can be found here: http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/ontap/rel735/html/ontap/nag/frameset.html

Public