Network and Storage Protocols

Size a FlexVol

jlbonnier

Hi,

we recently bought a FAS3140mc storage and I wonder if it exists an efficient way to compute the size of a flexvol (we use the FAS3140mc in pure SAN mode, no CIFS/NFS access).

I do not use snapshots but I've understood that I must keep space for fractional reserve so I can't create a volume which have the same size that the LUNs it contains.

So, do you know a math formula which can help to size my volume ?

For example, if i create a Flexvol with 10 LUNs of 1 TB, should I create a volume of 10.5, 11 TB or any other size ?

Best regards,

Franck.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rmharwood

If you're not using snapshots on the volume, it needs to be just big enough to store the LUNs. You do know that you can resize (grow or shrink) a flexible volume after it's created, don't you?

Richard

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

rmharwood

If you're not using snapshots on the volume, it needs to be just big enough to store the LUNs. You do know that you can resize (grow or shrink) a flexible volume after it's created, don't you?

Richard

eric_barlier

fractional reserve only applies if you intend to use snapshots. if not, forget it.

The other comment is also true, you only need a volume a little bigger than the LUN. For example 1GB.

Eric

Public