Community

Subscribe
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Users home directories and quotas

I need to migrate a bunch of users home directories onto our FAS2240

Currently they are all folders within a hidden share off our main fileserver and each folder has permissions set so only that  the user can only access their own  folder. Each user has a 10GB quota.

I have been looking at using the cifs_homedir.cfg and specifying ntname for the naming convention but I cannot work out how to apply a quota that will apply to each user.

Could somebody point me in the correct direction ?

Thanks

Andrew

Re: Users home directories and quotas

Hi Andrew,

here is my working example. Replace *DOMAIN_NAME* with your Windows Domain Name:

create qtree /vol/userhome/*DOMAIN_NAME*

/etc/cifs_homedir.cfg:

/vol/userhome/*DOMAIN_NAME*

/etc/quotas is attached.

Default Quota is set to 1GB. Exceptions needs to be configured afterwards.

Set home dirs hidden:

FILER> options cifs.ho   

options cifs.home_dir_namestyle      hidden    

options cifs.home_dirs_public_for_admin on

Enjoy!

Florian

About Permissions:

Admin has to set change permission for user1 to /vol/userhome/*DOMAIN_NAME*/user1.

Note: only user1 can get access to \\filer\user1$. Users who already mapped a share from \\filer are not able to map share \\filer\user1$ even if they use user1's credencials. This is a great feature of NetApp home_dir implementation.

Enjoy!

Ok thanks I think i understand now.

So for the quota to apply to a user I need to add each user to the quota file ?  Is there a way to do that automatically ?

Simply you set the default quota fitting to your needs. For me 1GB is perfect. See line 6 in /etc/quotas.

Ahh of course, I was not reading it correctly.

Thank you.

Hmm I have this configured and tested it for my user.  However the hard limit is not being applied as I can happily copy more than my quota into my home directory. Any clues what could be wrong ? I don't see any usage against the quota in quota report

Hi Andrew,

1) is quota enabled for this volume?

quota status

quota on userhome

2) every time you change quotas file execute:

quota resize userhome

3) query quota settings and usage:

report quota

my report looks like this.

K-Bytes             Files

Type       ID    Volume    Tree  Used      Limit     Used    Limit   Quota Specifier

----- -------- -------- -------- --------- --------- ------- ------- ---------------

user         * vol_tt_homes        -         0  10485760       0       - *

user  \ukawood vol_tt_homes        -         0   5120000       0       - ukawood

user  \Adminis vol_tt_homes        -   7044272         -       9       -

which looks to me like the files are counting towards the Administrators quota rather than mine since the 2 files add up to just over 7GB. NT permissions are set for me as owner and read/write access.

ok I figured it out. My user account is a member of a group that is itself a member of the BUILTIN\Administrators group. It seems that this means any files I write to the filer has the owner set to the BUILTIN\Administrator group so quotas are not applied.

Is there any way I can stop this behavior ?