Network and Storage Protocols

VIBE option "novmset" does not work

ulrik_ivers

Hi,

Trying to configure VIBE to backup our VMware ESX 3.5 environment.

Everything is working fine, except that I can't seem to get the "--novmset" option to work. The documentation states that this options should be used to exclude certain VMs from the backup. I'm reading this to mean that no VMware snapshots should be made of the VMs listed with this option.

I'm using the option "--dsset" to specify a datastore containing (at the moment) three VMs. I'm trying to exclude one or more with "--novmset" but ALL the VMs in the datastore are getting snapshoted anyway.

No error messages in the log, everything works fine, except that the "novmset" seems to be ignored.

Anyone have any ideas?

Here's the relevant lines from the .cfg-file that is used.

# VIBE Backup Configuration File
# ------------------------------
backup

dsset=vmDC01sys01FC:172.16.2.28

novmset=STOK00736DB01
cluster=Cluster01DC01

verbose
protocol=ssh
snapname=sv_man_nightly
reportdir="E:\Backup\VIBE"

Regards,

/Ulrik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rmatt

Hi, all.  I have a working fix for this that I plan to post to the ToolChest, but I'd like to get you to test it if you would before I release it to make sure it meets you needs.  Please send me a private message and I'll get the test application/installer of VIBE over to you.  Thanks,

--Matt

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

rmatt

Hi, Ulrik.  Can you attach the log so I can see what is happening?  The --verbose (and --debug if you can) output would be ideal.  Thanks,

--Matt

ulrik_ivers

Hi Matt,

I've finally have had the opportunity to test this again. I'd really appreciate a fix for this, as it is now I've had to create a separate NFS store for the VMs that I do not want to do a VMware snapshot of prior to taking the NetApp snapshot.

Attached are three logs.

log1.log: Verbose log when the "novmset" flag is NOT defined

log2.log: Verbose log when the "novmset" flag is defined as "novmset:STOPKIROOT"

log3.log: Same as log2 but with debug logging

Regards,

/Ulrik

byrondolan

I'm experiencing the same problem - novmset doesn't appear to work. Does it work for anyone?

Thanks,

Byron

rmatt

Hi, all.  I have a working fix for this that I plan to post to the ToolChest, but I'd like to get you to test it if you would before I release it to make sure it meets you needs.  Please send me a private message and I'll get the test application/installer of VIBE over to you.  Thanks,

--Matt

stefan_bast

Hi all!

I've got the same problem with VIBE but I can't get it fixed ! Is there any fix or a workaround available to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Stefan

ulrik_ivers

Hi,

Matt distributed a new version (1.0.12) that had the bug fixed so that novmset now works. The new version is not available yet on NOW what I can see (http://now.netapp.com/NOW/download/tools/vibe/).

If you send me an email I can send you the not official 1.0.12 version. I've benn running it in production several weeks.

/Ulrik

rmatt

Just a heads-up, wanted to update this thread and say --novmset modifications are now available on the NOW ToolChest, and 1.0.12 is available to everyone.  Thanks,

--Matt

Public