Network and Storage Protocols

cifs setup configuration

netappmagic

I am running "cifs setup" on a new filer A, and will be using the same cifs configurations as an exisiting one B. Now, when I type "cifs domaininfo" on filer B, I am getting the list of 3 different types of DC addresses.

My questoin is which one should I pick to answer the questions that I encountered when I run "cifs setup": IPv4 address(es) of your WINS name server(s) ?

the following is the output:

filerB>cifs domaininfo

NetBios Domain:           abcdomain
Windows 2003 Domain Name: abcdomain.abc.com
Type:                     Windows 2003
Filer AD Site:            xyz

Current Connected DCs:    \\xDC02 and \\xDC01
Total DC addresses found: 20
Preferred Addresses:
                          IP1     xDC01    PDC
                          IP2                      PDC
                          IP3                      PDC
Favored Addresses:
                          IP4                     PDC
Other Addresses:
                          IP5                     PDC

...                         ...

IP20                    PDC

Also, should I use abcdomain.abc.com to answer the question of What is the name of the Active Directory domain?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

billshaffer

This is a basic AD question - if the DC admin is not the same as the AD admin, maybe I understand him not knowing, and you should find the AD guy to see what OU he want's the account in.  If the DC and AD admin is the same person, and he doesn't know what you're asking, I'd be a bit worried.

My understanding (disclaimer: I'm a unix guy, not an AD guy) is that it doesn't really matter where the machine account goes - but there may (should) be standards where they want ALL the machine accounts, and there may be different rules/permissions around those OUs.  If all else fails, they can do a lookup on the existing controllers and put the new ones there.

Bill

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36
Public