Network and Storage Protocols

iSCSI Lun Backup via SAN Agent (Lan free Backup, not NDMP)

kumar_lingam

Hi,

Environment:

client -1g- Netbackup6.5-----

|                             |                     

|                             |     

1g iscsi                   | SAN |    ----TL & VTL

|                              |

|-Netapp -------------------

This is Netbackup related question, however posting here to get experts idea...

The client is accessing iSCSI lun on Netapp, now the backup is happening via LAN, like normal client.

The question is, is it possible to configure SAN media server & take the backup via SAN?

(iscsi also IPSAN, right?)

Which means, the SAN media server agent will be running on client, & the backup goes from Netapp to VTL or Tape directly..

This is to improve performance...

4 REPLIES 4

radek_kubka

Hi,

Which means, the SAN media server agent will be running on client, & the backup goes from Netapp to VTL or Tape directly...

It does not work that way.

The only thing which SAN media server may change, is that the client can send backup data directly to a backup device (assuming it has access to it), without any other media server being involved.

The term NetBackup is using is misleading in my opinion - SAN media server is nothing more sophisticated than just media server sitting on the same box as client.

Regards,
Radek

kumar_lingam

Hi Radek,

Thanks a lot for giving the clarity/answer/reply...

I thought iscsi is also IP SAN & client can push the data..

However as you've clarified clearly, the tape/VTL has to be connected directly or via SAN (with SSO option of Netbackup), to client for SAN media.

radek_kubka

I thought iscsi is also IP SAN & client can push the data

That actually is not the case - you need FC connectivity on the client to utilise SAN media server functionality:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/293110.htm

dwaghmare

As far as I understand your query, you want to take the backup of the client via SAN and you have LUN mapped to client via iSCSI, right??

In this case if you want to deploy NBU SAN Client then at first place you will need to conect your client to SAN fabric and do the zoning on the SAN switch so that TL will be visible to the client.

After that you will need to install the NBU Enterprise client (from NBU 6.5) to achieve the backup of client over the SAN.

From NBU Master server perspective, you will need to create new storage unit and assign the same to the respective client.

Also you will need Shared Storage Option (SSO) license for sharing the TL.

Hope this clarifies your question.

Public