Network and Storage Protocols

"cifs other ops"

seno

Hi,

Anyone got a good definition of what cifs "other ops" include?  My filer's getting hammered by these, but not cifs reads or cifs writes.

5 REPLIES 5

lafoucrier

Hi,

Did you had any answer about your problem, i see the same behaviour on one of my CIFS Filer, the counter "other Ops" is somtime 2 times the value of "read ops", the tendancy of both counter are the same (when one's up the other up) but always a greater scale for "other ops".

We introduce few month earlier Windows Seven computers, with (for the moment) indexing option activate on shared map drives => i alert my Windows administrators to disable this as soon as possible.  We had this few days a global increase of CIFS operations on this CIFS Filer.

thanks.

regards

seno

Hi,

No, no one answered and I am still seeing the same issue.

lafoucrier

do you have the same configuration on your computers in your network environment :

http://roddotnet.blogspot.com/2007/10/how-to-stop-wds-301-indexing-via-group.html

I will try do disable indexing on networkshares for every workstation in my Network...

maybe this help to reduce activity.

regards

seno

Yes, we are going to start a search for indexing software (windows search, google desktop, etc) on workstations.  And hopefully shut it down.

seno

One thing I have been able to demonstrate in a lab environment is the impact on "cifs other ops" by VMware server/workstation when the vmdk lives on a CIFS share mapped by the system running the VMware application.

On an idle filer, installing a Ubuntu VM via a cifs connection peaked the filer to 78 "cifs other" operations per second.  After the install, running the Update Manager and updating the Ubuntu install peaked the "cifs other" operations per second to 104.  While "cifs other" was showing large amounts of activity, CIFS read/write ops, wasn't.  At least not to any noticeable level.

So if you have an environment where user "My Documents" folders are re-directed to your storage, and VMware server/workstation is configured to place it's vmdk's in the My Documents folder, well, then you have a situation where your storage could be impacted in the "cifs other" arena.

Food for thought anyway.

Public