Subscribe

slowly network connection

hi

i have netapp FAS 3020 and cisco 4560 they connect via 3 cable each 1 GB on etherchannel (no lacp) and when i copy a 10 G file it's take ~10 min ,the destination is win server 2003 also connect to 4560 with 1G,what the problem ?and what  is the best way to connect NepApp to ciscp switch?

Re: slowly network connection

You've got a problem there someplace - 10GB in 10 minutes is, by my calculation, 10240MB/600seconds == 17MB/second, which is < 15% of what should be possible with a 1 gigabit ethernet. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_device_bandwidths

There's a lot of places you could start looking for the cause. I'd start by making sure the network settings are all koser. Check duplex and speed settings on all ports, etc. Maybe something is set for fast ethernet (100Mbps?)

NetApp Network best practices here: https://now.netapp.com/Knowledgebase/solutionarea.asp?id=kb8454

hi

thanks,i checked the setting in server and i have Auto-negotiate 1000 Mbps

1Gig interface is a shared medium on the ethernet layer. I think the traffic should be high in this case thats reason for the delay.

Thanks

Daniel

hi

i didn't understand could you please explain ?

You can check the wiki here for the shared medium details. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet#CSMA.2FCD_shared_medium_Ethernet

The collisions reduce throughput often, in your case you may be trying to use the same interface for all the Data/Management traffic.

You can have a dedicated interface for the high through put.

Please check the windows machine if the speed is 1.0Gbps for connected interface status.

Thanks

Daniel

Have you checked the settings on the switch for both the NetApp and the Windows server?

If you haven't already, you may want to draw a picture of the setup (even if it is as simple as it sounds) and then start checking each connection, each link, each port, each setting, and working to eliminate possible problem areas. Be objective, don't make assumptions. If the settings are all set correctly, start looking deeper - are there errors? Collisions? Dropped Packets? Other bottlenecks? Is the switch overloaded? Are CPU's overloaded? Etc.

I recently helped a site who having trouble reaching their RLM ports on their filers - everything appeared to be setup correctly on the NetApp, routing, ip-addresses, etc. Turned out that a network administrator had set all of the ports on their Cisco switches to locked at 1000Gbps, full duplex. RLM ports are only 100Mbps (fast ethernet) ports, and so couldn't talk to the switch at 1000Mbps. My point here is you can't assume things will work, just because the should. The fix was simple, but it required looking in the right place to figure out what needed to happen. It took a process of elimination to identify that right place to look.

hi

i was check cpu --->no problem (peak 46%)

the cisco port set to auto speed & duplex and Port Fast set to disabled

You say the link aggregate (VIF) is over 3 ports? I saw an issue similar to this the other day where a VIF created with 3 ports going into a Cisco switch caused a problem. If this was changed to 1, 2 or 4 ports, there was no issue at all, and everything worked as expected.

Try simply unplugging one of the ports (so you have 2 active) and running the tests again.

hi

I unplugging one of the ports and try to copy the file --- ? the same problem ...