Network and Storage Protocols

snapmirror or ndmp

sriegerdss

migrating data (14tb) from LB to RC (distance of about 100 miles)

LB is all 32bit vols

RC is all 64 bit vols

network team is allowing me to use up to 300 megabits per second

i know i can do a snapmirror to a new 32bit vol on RC and then use ndmp to move it to the 64bit vol, and keep it below the 300 mbits threshold

however the question is can i use ndmpcopy and still throttle it to the 300mbits ?

6 REPLIES 6

ekashpureff

There's no way I know of to throttle an ndmpcopy.

options replication.throttle sez it only limits snapmirror/snapvault transfers.

Your snapmirror then copy plan sounds good, given enough disk to create both aggrs on the destination.

I hope this response has been helpful to you.

At your service,

Eugene E. Kashpureff
ekashp@kashpureff.org
Senior Systems Architect / NetApp Certified Instructor
http://www.linkedin.com/in/eugenekashpureff

(P.S. I appreciate points for helpful or correct answers.)

scottgelb

You could use Qtree SnapMirror (QSM) and throttle that, or see if the network team can setup QoS to limit ndmpcopy on port 10000.  But know way I know of either to throttle ndmpcopy on the controller.... other than flexshare but that would not be on the network side.

scottgelb

One other thought...if you are doing ndmpcopy on the same controller, you are limited by the loopback adapter speed..maybe 30-40Mbyte/sec....but I would still probably use qtree snapmirror from 32 to 64 bit...saves you from having to copy the data twice and you can use incremental updates with snapmirror instead of the limited dump levels 0,1,2 for ndmpcopy....

You would create several mirror relationships..one for each qtree then one for non-qtree data using /vol/sourcevol/- on the source and the target will be a qtree. All non qtree data goes to a qtree.   Then the cifs shares and nfs exports to non-qtree data have to go one level deeper on the target in a qtree... if luns then map them to the igroup the same as you did before but inside a qtree now.  You could ndmpcopy the data up a level out of the qtree or copy it out if you want the same structure.  For qtrees on the source, they mirror 1 to 1 to qtrees on the target.

aborzenkov

You could ndmpcopy the data up a level out of the qtree or copy it out if you want the same structure.

It is better move than copy. Copy will require double amount of space, and move is quite cheap and fast (as long as number of top level directory entries is reasonable).

aadedipe

aborzenkov wrote:

You could ndmpcopy the data up a level out of the qtree or copy it out if you want the same structure.

It is better move than copy. Copy will require double amount of space, and move is quite cheap and fast (as long as number of top level directory entries is reasonable).

I understand the concept of what you are saying, but I was unaware of a command to move data between volumes and Qtrees. Aside from volcopy, ndmpcopy, snapmirror (VSM and QSM). What command would you use to perform this move?

TIA

aborzenkov

Just map volume and use host command to move data.

Public