Network and Storage Protocols

timed options

rajesh

Hi Guys,

What i'm trying to achieve is to keep the time diff between filer and domain server not go more than 5min.

how can i do this? i found most of explanations on sync with timeserver a bit confusing.

what could be my optiosn timed value to get not more than 5min between my AD server and timeserver (assuming AD is always in sync with timeserver).

thanks for any help in advance.

Regards

Rajesh

12 REPLIES 12

aborzenkov

Just enable timed in FilerView and set it to use NTP as protocol; as servers specify domain controller(s). Make sure to set correct time zone and manually set time close to “real” before (timed won’t correct very large difference).

Something like this:

timed.enable on

timed.max_skew 30m

timed.proto ntp

timed.sched hourly

timed.servers x.x.x.x,y.y.y.y

rajesh

Would this not make filer deviate to max of 30min from server?

aborzenkov

No.

rajesh

Thanks ..that is good to know, can you give me more info how this is possible? I mean if you can give an example.

Sorry to ask some silly questions..

Regards

Rajesh

aborzenkov

Hmm … but I already gave you example, did not I? Or what example do you mean?

prakash_aviva

Consider below example:

Filer> options timed

timed.enable                 on         (same value in local+partner recommended)
timed.log                    off        (same value in local+partner recommended)
timed.max_skew               5m        (same value in local+partner recommended)
timed.min_skew               0          (same value in local+partner recommended)
timed.proto                  ntp        (same value in local+partner recommended)
timed.sched                  1h         (same value in local+partner recommended)
timed.servers                time.dc.company.net (same value in local+partner recommended)
timed.window                 0s         (same value in local+partner recommended)

dwaghmare

timed.enable -

If on and a remote protocol ("ntp" or "rdate") is specified the time daemon (timed) synchronizes to an
external source. If off, time is synchronized to the internal Real-Time Clock chip, just as it would with
the protocol set to "rtc." Valid values for this option are on or off. The default value for this option is
on.

timed.log

Specifies whether time changes initiated by timed should be logged to the console.

timed.max_skew

Specifies the maximum amount of skew between the time reported by the time server and the filer’s

time that we will allow when synchronizing the time. If the difference in the time reported by the server

and the filer’s time is greater than this value, the filer will not synchronize to the time reported by the

time server. The maximum skew is specified in seconds (suffix s), minutes (suffix m), or hours (suffix

h). Defaults to "30m".

timed.proto

Specifies the protocol used to synchronize time. Valid values for this option are rdate, sntp or rtc.

rdate specifies the rdate (RFC 868) protocol. sntp specifies the Simple Network Time Protocol (RFC

2030). rtc specifies the internal Real-Time Clock chip. The default value for this option is rtc.

Note that ntp is the displayed value for the sntp setting, and can also be used as a valid alias for sntp in

this option.

timed.sched

Specifies the timed synchronization schedule. There are several pre-defined schedules:

hourly

synchronize every hour (the default)

multihourly

synchronize every 6 hours

daily

synchronize every day at midnight.

Custom schedules may also be specified by giving the number of minutes or hours between time

synchronization. Minutes are specified by digits followed by an "m"; hours are specified by digits

followed by an "h". For example, options timed.sched 2h will cause time to be synchronized every two

hours.

To avoid overburdening the time server, the filer randomly selects the exact time of the synchronization

within a window specified by timed.window.

After timed.sched is set, timed.window is capped at ten percent of timed.sched.

timed.servers  

Specifies up to five time servers used by the time daemon. Time servers are contacted in the order

specified; if a server can’t be contacted, the time daemon tries the next one in the list. The default value

for this option is the null string.

timed.window

Specifies a window around the synchronization time set by timed.sched. The actual synchronization

time is randomly chosen from within this window. timed.window is specified in seconds (suffix s) or

minutes (suffix m). The value may be 0, but it may not exceed ten percent of timed.sched.

timed.window defaults to "0s".

It is recommended that the following list of options have the same value on both filers in a cluster:

timed.enable

timed.log

timed.max_skew

timed.proto

timed.sched

timed.servers

timed.window

kamran1024

Thank you Ranil Bhat and Dwaghmare for your info.

If required to change the timed.proto (from rtc to ntp for exapmle) is there any downtime occured or can it be done on the fly? Would any CIFS or NFS shares be affected when changing the protocol type.

I'm just cautious as I want perform the protocol type change on a clustered pair of filers and just hoping there is a 'best practice' type of work-plan someone can guide me to or suggest please?

scottgelb

No downtime to change the timed settings. All options are documented in the command reference guides ad the man pages. Most use ntp

kamran1024

OK thank you. So no effect on any other services and protocols.

JIGNESH1983

Hi Frnd,

I am using Netapp 8.1 but not getting this command..options timed

However I have access to the System Manager

I have tried :-

System node date modify command to sync with my domain controller on Windows Platform to setup CIFS share.

However I have successfully deployed iSCSI Lun with my Windows Server 2008 r2.

But with CIFS getting time skew error - searching on Google for resolution and got you.. any work around

I have tried Enabling NTP - given my dc ip address / tried NTP Server as 3.asia.pool.ntp.org

but no success..

Any help ?

My E-mail Address is :- JIGNESH_RAJGURU@HOTMAIL.COM

franckdelvigne

Hi jignesh,

Below you can find a solution to solve your problem :

For my example, my fas has GMT timezone and my active directory domain controller UTC+1 Paris

Refer to this Web link to know, how find your specific timezone. http://www.wafl.co.uk/tag/timezone/

1. You have to check the time zone on your windows domain. "For me UTC +1 Paris"

2. You have to check your netapp time zone :

ns009901> timezone

Current time zone is GMT

3. You have to set Time manually on your FAS with the same time of your domain Controller :

ns009901> date 201312161141.35

ns009901> Mon Dec 16 11:41:35 CET [ns009901: rc:info]: Time changed (via "date") to Mon Dec 16 11:42:35 CET 2013

4. You have to set manually your time zone :

ns009901> timezone /etc/zoneinfo/Europe/Paris

Current time zone is /etc/zoneinfo/Europe/Paris

5 Now you can launch cifs setup without any problems 😉

Public