Network and Storage Protocols

timeout when opening large files

mdvillanueva

Hi Experts,

We have SAS programmers and they reported that sometimes when they open their SAS files (SAS7BDAT),  they get timeout error. Is there any thing I can check or tweak in our CIFS configuration to find out if there is something that wrong that needs fixing?

Thanks,

Maico

6 REPLIES 6

scottgelb

There are some tuning options listed in the appendix of this TR  http://www.netapp.com/us/library/technical-reports/tr-3869.html  ... if you can enable smb2

You can also search for cifs neg_buf_size tuning in addition to the window size in the above tr and consider also opening a performance case (most the options require a restart of cifs after changing).  It could be other latency issues separate from cifs that a perfstat could show.

mdvillanueva

Thanks Scott,

I will look at the TR.

Other than what the users are reporting, there are no noticeable latency issues reported by the Performance Advisor.

SUDHEER_H21

The timeout error might be because of the value set to the "cifs.idle_timeout" option which is in generally mentioned in seconds. This time in seconds terminates an idle session (no files open). Let me know if this works out or not.

Cheers.

mdvillanueva

HI Sudheer,

Thanks for the suggestion. Although the issue is happening when they are actually trying to open a large files.

Maico

pascalduk

Have you checked if there are antivirus scanners on either the clients or connected to the filer?

mdvillanueva

We do have Scan Engine configured. But i already add the saa mms to eclusions.

Thanks!

Public