Subscribe

vFiler migrate fails with FAS3270 not supported as destination

Hi - I'm attempting the first test vFiler migration to a new 3270 with NMC 3.0.1 and I'm receiving the following error - is it fixed in 3.0.2?:

Conformance Results

=== SEVERITY ===

Error:    Attention: Failed to select a resource.

=== ACTION ===

Select a destination resource for migrating

=== REASON ===

Storage system : 'na04'(120):

- Automated Online Migration is not supported as destination storage system 'na04'(120) model is FAS3270 and source storage system 'na02'(152) model is FAS3170

=== SUGGESTION ===

Suggestions related to storage system 'na04'(120):

- Minimum supported model for Automated Online Migration is FAS3170

thanks

http://vmadmin.info

FYI - I just upgraded to the latest DFM 4.0.2 and NMC 3.0.2 and I receive the same error:

Conformance Results

=== SEVERITY ===

Error:    Attention: Failed to select a resource.

=== ACTION ===

Select a destination resource for migrating

=== REASON ===

Storage system : 'na04'(120):

- Automated Online Migration is not supported as destination storage system 'na04'(120) model is FAS3270 and source storage system 'na02'(152) model is FAS3170

=== SUGGESTION ===

Suggestions related to storage system 'na04'(120):

- Minimum supported model for Automated Online Migration is FAS3170

Do you have a case open?  The requirement for the same size or higher NVRAM is definitely met source to target (same 2GB on each system).  This definitely looks like a conformance bug... do you also meet the requirement that both source and target are both HA pairs?

Yes, the case is 2002233334 P2 - the engineer called me and is now off researching possible causes.

I can confirm, they are both HA pairs.

I am running the vfiler migrate from the DOT command line right now and its pumping < 1gb - disappointing since the source and dest are supposedly 10Gb end to end...

Is there a default bandwidth throttle set on these operations by DOT?

thanks

Only if there is a snapmirror throttle or if "options replication" options are used on source or target.

No throttling enabled

na04> options replication

replication.logical.reserved_transfers 0          (value might be overwritten in takeover)

replication.logical.transfer_limits current    (value might be overwritten in takeover)

replication.throttle.enable  off       

replication.throttle.incoming.max_kbs unlimited 

replication.throttle.outgoing.max_kbs unlimited 

replication.volume.reserved_transfers 0          (value might be overwritten in takeover)

replication.volume.transfer_limits current    (value might be overwritten in takeover)

replication.volume.use_auto_resync off

I verified with a 3rd 10Gb host I am seeing a peak average around 640Mbps from the 10Gb connected aggr0 volume

I suppose this means I can run 4-5 vfiler migrations in parallel without saturating the 10gb pipe (once the unsupported 3270 issue is resolved)

thanks

FYI, I completed the vfiler migration successfully via the ONTAP cmd line "vfiler migrate..."

The NMC migration is much preferred as it provides progress indication and ability to control the final cutover timing.

I noticed my cmd line BLOCKED during the 2.5 hour vfiler migration - I could not issue a vfiler migrate status

Will see what Netapp support says...

thanks

Hello fletch,

Are you trying Online or Offline migration. I believe its offline since you mentioned you did it successfully using the filer CLI, as you can't do Online migration using filer CLI.

FAS3270 seems like a new platform and DFM4.0.2 seems not to recognize it. If you have opened a case then this can be tracked by a burt. If you are blocked in your progress, then I think there is an option that you can set in your 4.0.2 server which can bypass this test and allow you to proceed. I'm not sure if I can disclose the option in public community here since its hidden and not for common use.

Kindly send me a mail at sinhaa@netapp.com for details on this.

warm regards,

Abhishek

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

I would be careful using testpoint overrides... for simulator and training they work well, but for production I would be concerned that other tests that guarantee a successful failover in 120 seconds are met.

vfiler migrate often finishes quickly (manually and within the same time frame, but just no guarantee of the cutover time and no failback if it takes a long time... 2.5 hours in your case..).. that is a long amount of time especially if the mirrors are up to date.  Do you have millions of small files?  It sounds like a snapmirror issue to also troubleshoot in addition to the 3270 bug with data motion.

Update: I've been told Netapp can't give the internal workaround

I've asked for the case to be escalated.

Side note: this should not happen

1) the 3270 model while one of the newer models, has been selling  > 6 months

2) conformance requirements (for vFiler migration or any other operation) should not be tied to static model numbers) - Scott where are you pulling the HA and NVRAM requirements from?

The best thing Netapp could do is to quickly issue a point release for DFM 4.0.2D with NMC 3.0.2D to fix this ASAP

thanks