Legacy Product Discussions

NetApp 2240 serial number location

alanraczek

Seems simple enough but I am having trouble locating the correct serial number on a new FAS2240-2.  I see several labels

but I am not sure which one is correct. I am trying to access license keys on the Netapp site at

http://support.netapp.com/licenses. Any one I put in the form does not work.

...AR

6 REPLIES 6

bondbhola

Hi,

You can get the serial number on filer by using below command.

<filer name>  sysconfig | grep "System Serial Number"

Thanks,

Bhola Gond

scottgelb

ONTAP also writes the serial number to a file.. "rdfile /etc/serialnum" will show it or grep from sysconfig -a works well too like Bhola mentioned too.

alanraczek

Yes, ok I understand. But when you power up the NetApp and it goes through the configuration will I be asked for this # ? It is right out of the box and

there SHOULD be a label somewhere. There are two controller cards, is the SN the # on these cards? The NetApp setup worksheet has an entry for these.

...AR

RAVI_PALADUGU

Please follow this KB article.

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=3010190&locale=en_US

F7XX and F8XX

The serial number is located on the right side when you are facing the back of the storage system.

FAS2XX

The serial number is on the top left side when you are facing the back of the storage system.

FAS9XX

The serial number is located on the back of the storage system, facing up on the flange (bottom center).

FAS2XXX

The serial number is on the back of the storage system, at the top of the center module.

FAS3XXX

The serial number is located on the front of the storage system on the left side (remove bezel).

FAS32XX

The serial number is located on the back right side of the storage system under slot 2 on the motherboard.

FAS6XXX

The serial number is on the top left side when you are facing the back of the storage system.

FAS62XX

The serial number is on the back middle of the storage system under the Fiber and Ethernet ports.

Notes:

To locate the serial number in FilerView, go to Filer > Reports > System configuration.

To locate the serial number from the CLI, type: sysconfig -a

ASHWINPAWARTESL

This is cool. Thanks, Ravi. I hope Alan finds this KB helpful.

ASHWINPAWARTESL

I read this from the 'NetApp Support Owner’s Manual':

*The Storage Controller’s serial number can be found in one of two ways:

1. Using the CLI run sysconfig –a.The serial number is listed towards the top of the output. (First option is not applicable here)
2. Physically locate the serial number on the Storage Controller. Most models have a sticker on the back listing the serial number. Some models, like the FAS3000, list the serial number on the front underneath the bdiezel.

I think a KB is worth on this, some examples with pictures for locating serial number on differnet model series. This helps especially when the filer is right out of the box and not yet powered up. I could not locate any article on this.

Public