NetApp OneCollect: The tool for easy, consolidated diagnostic data collection

by Member on ‎2017-01-17 09:38 AM - edited on ‎2017-03-14 07:16 AM by Community Manager

Introduction: 

NetApp OneCollect is a data collection tool that collects data from ONTAP, E-Series, Solid Fire, various operating system hosts and switches.  OneCollect tool can be used by Customers, Partners and Internal users.  The collected data is used for troubleshooting, solution validation, migration and upgrade assessments.  This data will be stored in ASUP and presented for use by various other tools like SmartSolve, ConfigAdvisor and Unified Parser.

OneCollect image.png

Key Features

• Can be installed on Windows, Linux and OS X(Mac)
  • Collects data from ONTAP, E-Series, SolidFire, solution based collection including FlexPod, MCC.
  • Collects data from host Operating Systems including Windows, Linux, VMware ESX, AIX, HP-UX, Solaris.
  • Collects FC and Network data from Cisco and Brocade switches.
  • Collect data can be viewed using OneCollect raw data viewer and SmartSolve.
  • Supports auto discovery of environment, parallel execution and scheduling collection jobs.
  • Sends collected data to NetApp AutoSupport for use by assessment and troubleshooting tools.

GA

• March 14, 2017

NetApp® OneCollect 1.0

Support and Questions

• Community-based support only at this time
  • If you have any questions please post a reply to this article or contact ng-OneCollect-support@netapp.com
Comments
Frequent Contributor

Thanks a lot for your sharing.  That's wonderful tool and hope the official version could be released sooner.  here are a few request from team.

1. Could onecollect collect the existing ASUP?  especially those weekly ASUP

2. the ASUP uploaded has the title "Onecollect notification ...".  Could myAUSP or other tools accept and handle this kind ASUP?  I remember many tools only accept weekly ASUP.

3.  For host and switch data, Could onecollect replace nSANity?  if so, could it save the output as nSANity format because many other tools accept nSANity output.

4.  is there a plan to collect perfstat?  

New Contributor

Hi Chao,

Thank you for your interest in OneCollect.  OneCollect 1.0 GA is planned on 3/14. Please find the responses below.

1. Could onecollect collect the existing ASUP?  especially those weekly ASUP

<Pradeep> Currently it doesn't collect but its in the roadmap

2. the ASUP uploaded has the title "Onecollect notification ...".  Could myAUSP or other tools accept and handle this kind ASUP?  I remember many tools only accept weekly ASUP.

<Pradeep> SmartSolve and Unified Parser can search and retrieve OneCollect ASUPs and parse the data.  We have MyASUP in the roadmap for not just displaying raw ASUPs but also possibly use some data within OneCollect and not present in regular ASUPs.

3.  For host and switch data, Could onecollect replace nSANity?  if so, could it save the output as nSANity format because many other tools accept nSANity output.

<Pradeep> Yes. OneCollect tool is replacing nSANity. The output formats will be supported by Unified Parser.  SANview is going away and most other tools are part of governance to consume new OneCollect format.  It's not a major change as we using nSANity code for mostly underneath but there are few schema changes.

4.  is there a plan to collect perfstat?

<Pradeep>  No.  Persftat is going away.   We should be using PerfArchive starting from 8.3.  Anything prior to 8.3 will use existing PerfStat 8.4 release which is the last release and no further updates planned.

Thanks,

Pradeep,

Product Manager

OneCollect and Perf Supportability Tools

Frequent Contributor

Many Thanks Pradeep.  Does onecollect have plan to support to retrieve existing PerfArchive?  BTW, out-of-box tool (ex. perfstat) is still necessary for those secure site.  Please consider about that.

New Contributor

Hi Chao,

Yes, we do have in the roadmap to collect perfarchives and core files but may be not in the upcoming 1.1 release.  I am working on gathering requirements for next release.  Please let me know if you need anything else.  I can share the current PRD.  Please let me know your email address. 

For secure sites, we need to collect perfarchives and upload manually.  Current perfstat and latx will exist but no further enhancements coming in it.

Thanks,

Pradeep.

New Contributor

Congratulations on the release of OneCollect!  Awesome job!  Awesome tool!

Great tool! I am using this now more often for collecting and upload to UP.   I am however coming across an issue where all three tools are exhibiting the same behvior (nsanity,ict, one collect) on a specific set of ESXi hosts for a client.  The error that I get from all of these tools when I run it against the ESX host is the same.   The ESX hosts are running 5.5u2.  The error seems to be happening on post processing of esxcfg-info command.   I have run the command manually it finishes on the host successfully.  I am hoping you can shed some light as it seems all three tools use the same code base and exhibit the same behavior.   

ESX Host 1

03-18 01:48:51:INFO: Vmware:miavm101.bftg.com: Running esxcfg-info -a -F xml
03-18 01:58:50:INFO: Failed to run command: esxcfg-info -a -F xml. Exception: 'Timeout waiting for command to complete'
03-18 01:58:54:WARNING: Error while post-processing command: esxcfg-info -a -F xml. Error: Opening and ending tag mismatch: vm-disk-
resource line 2515059 and command_out, line 2515061, column 15

ESX Host 2

03-18 10:14:20:INFO: Failed to run command: esxcfg-info -a -F xml. Exception: 'Timeout waiting for command to complete'
03-18 10:14:29:WARNING: Error while post-processing command: esxcfg-info -a -F xml. Error: Opening and ending tag mismatch: world-32
967-stats- line 2104651 and command_out, line 2104667, column 15

New Contributor

Hi Aleeyee,

Thanks for the feedback! Looks like the log you posted is from ICT, but the root cause is clear- 'Timeout waiting for command to complete' and OneCollect would show same error. This means that command output did not complete within the set time limit (10min in case of OneCollect/nsanity). We have set a time limit of max 10min and a size limit of 100MB for output from any command; this is to avoid the case where a command would produce enormous/infinite output and to maintain sanity of the result file.

However we do have a workaround for this in OneCollect, if you are sure the command is taking more time and has a definite output within the size limit. Please follow the steps below:

1. Stop OneCollect Process (From task manager in Windows or using kill in Linux/Mac)

2. Edit the CONFIG file in the path <user_home_directory>\NetApp\OneCollect\Config and add the below line at the end of file e.g to increase to 20min (maintain same case/syntax)

COLLECTION_TIMEOUT=1200

3. Restart OneCollect. (By clicking OneCollect.exe under C:\Program Files(x86)\NetApp\OneCollect in Windows, ./onecollect from install dir on Mac/Linux)

Please let us know if that works.

Thanks,

Nithin

Frequent Contributor

Hi Sir

I found the uploaded OneCollect ASUP was moved to individual category and could only be searched by entering SN/Jobname... in OneCollect field.  is it true?  

Partner said they uploaded OneCollect ASUP but I can't fine them.  is there a log show me what happened? May I manually upload ASUP file collected by OneCollect?  

New Contributor

Hi Chao,

I believe you meant SmartSolve.  Yes, you can search using serial number or job name.  Search by case id is coming in couple of weeks.

You can get the job name from Partner by which you can search it.  Collection Logs are available in user system <home directory>/OneCollectData/LogFiles diectory.

Thanks,

Pradeep.

Hi,

great tool!
Is there some relationship with the OneCollect Field I've seen in SmartSolve portal?
If yes, which ones?

I've tried to input a serial name but there are no result.

24-03-2017 14-04-24.jpg

New Contributor

Hi @gmilazzoitag,

Thank you very much for the feeback.

Yes, Onecollect ASUPs are integrated in SmartSolve.  You can search using serial number, job name or case id.

It will display only OneCollect AutoSupports.  To be able to search OneCollect Autosupports, there must be OneCollect Autosupports uploaded already using OneCollect tool (OneCollect tool can upload ASUPs after data collection).  There will be one autosupport per device that is collected.

Thanks,

Pradeep.

As a partner I've asked a customer to run OneCollect against the devices in a SAN environment we're planning an upgrade for.  But now I have no idea where to go to get to the data.  Customer has said it's gone to NetApp but I can't work out which portal I should use to get to the ASUP with the OneCollect output data.

Alternatively, there doesn't seem to be any easy way for me to get the customer to send me the results files and import them into OneCollect for me to view locally.

Thanks,

Jason

New Contributor

Hi Jason,

Customer should be giving you the Job name which he created in OneCollect tool.  If you have access to SmartSolve tool, you can search using Job name or NetApp serial number in SmartSolve and view the data.  You can also search ONTAP data collected using OneCollect tool in Unified Parser by specifying ONTAP serial number.

Thanks,

Pradeep.

Hi Pradeep,

Just an update and sorry for the late response.  The collection_timeout worked perfectly. Also like the feature to skip certain command collections.  

Thanks,

Amiel

Am I right that Unified Parser is accessible only to NetApp employees? I get empty page when follow link from field portal to Unified Parser with my partner account.

Hi aborzenkov.

On top of that, SmartSolve is only available to Support Services Certified (SSC) Partners and original equipment manufacturer(OEM) partners.  So Premier partners with a Professional Services focus such as ourselves can't even use it to view the OneCollect data.  Therefore the new tools for increasing our chances of being successful with migrations and transitions are kinda pointless.

Cheers,

Jason

New Contributor

Unified Parser is available to Customers and all Partners too.  Please email to ng-OneCollect-Support2@netapp.com with your NetApp SSO user id.  We will take it up with Unified Parser team and let you know.

Thanks,

Pradeep.

Frequent Contributor

I was confused by Onecollect plug-ins.  the URL in the InA manual does not work ( http://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/download/tools/Onecollect/) . in same manual, it said there are the independent plug-in installation packages are available for the following plug-ins:

• ONTAP 7-Mode

• Clustered Data ONTAP

• E-Series

• FlexPod

• MetroCluster in Clustered Data ONTAP

I just wonder if basic Onecollect could collect data from above system?  at least I found nothing incorrect to collect cDOT system.

New Contributor

Hi Chao,

Thanks for the feedback. The documentation errors with respect to wrong URL and the confusion on plug-ins available for download are fixed and we will update the manual in portal soon.

However, to clarify your question on plug-ins, all the profiles that you see in the OneCollect tool can be considered as plug-ins and we can selectively update each of those profiles if there are any updates to commands. In this release, we have bundled all the plugins together with the framework and are installed by default. So there is no need to install any of these separately unless there is an update which would be notified to users (under 'Notifications' tab in the tool when there is active network connection).

Thanks,

Nithin

Hi,

I have a requirement to provide a list from my virtual environment including the following:

Server Name

Operating System

DISM version

SnapDrive version

SnapManager for SQL version

I have a predetermined list of VMs to target. 

Based on the outcome of this list will determine if I need to perform any upgrades.  Can OneCollect provide me with this information or is there another tool available?  Alternatively should I be looking at writing a PowerShell script to do this for me?

I look forward to your responses.

Regards

Justin

Hi

I can see how this is better than the previous app.

But is there a way to get rid of the annoying "help" overlays!

I'm sick of clicking on "I got", 'cause I have got it and I don't need the app to keep holding my hand now!

Hello,

Does OneCollect capture host performance statistics?

Thanks,

Diego

New Contributor

@JustinM Yes. OneCollect can do in the upcoming release which is scheduled end of this month.

New Contributor

@nigelg1965 The message should not come up again once you click on "I got it".  Please let us know if it is coming up even after that.

Thanks,

Pradeep.

New Contributor

@DiegoFerreyra  Hi Diego, OneCollect currently doesn't collect host performance stats but we do have this in the roadmap and shoud be available soon.

Thanks,

Pradeep.

Warning!

This NetApp Community is public and open website that is indexed by search engines such as Google. Participation in the NetApp Community is voluntary. All content posted on the NetApp Community is publicly viewable and available. This includes the rich text editor which is not encrypted for https.

In accordance to our Code of Conduct and Community Terms of Use DO NOT post or attach the following:

• Software files (compressed or uncompressed)
  • Files that require an End User License Agreement (EULA)
  • Confidential information
  • Personal data you do not want publicly available
  • Another’s personally identifiable information
  • Copyrighted materials without the permission of the copyright owner

Files and content that do not abide by the Community Terms of Use or Code of Conduct will be removed. Continued non-compliance may result in NetApp Community account restrictions or termination.