OnCommand Workflow Automation package for Storage Service Catalog

by rle Former NetApp Employee on ‎2014-02-20 12:19 AM

Brought to by Ganesh Kamath, NetApp Technical Architect

This pack of workflows provide provisioning workflows that provisions,  exports, LUNs, and shares according to a storage service.

A storage service provides a collection of provisioning and protection policies.

Storage domains, a collection of aggregates, are associated to provisioning policies.  

The pack also includes workflows to create and destroy storage services, storage domains, protection, and provisioning policies. 

Consumers are assigned storage services when a consumer is created. 

View workflows are provided to view storage objects created. 

The WFA Playground scheme is used to store information about storage services and components.

This pack was tested on clustered Data ONTAP 8.2 with WFA 2.1 and WFA 2.2.

Documentation can be found in TR-4272 or in the download below..

The files included are:

1. definitions_02_19_14__20_48_30_3310013954938773299.dar - the file that includes all the workflows
  2. playgroundssc.sql - the file that defines the tables in the WFA Playground scheme
  3. WFA_StaaS_Documentation - start-up and usage documentation in the Microsoft Word format.

This is a first release and by no means complete.  Depending on usage and feedback, enhancements will occur. 

Please download, use, and modify and share back

Comments
New Contributor

Hi Rick,

Great stuff, thanks. I'll give it a test asap and post my opinion or changes back here.

Cheers,

Ronald.

Hi,

In the documentation it says that Snapvault is not currently supported. When is such support planned to arrive?

Best regards,

Roger

Hi,

I am working on getting this automation package to work in our environment.  I have been successful in getting to the mySQL database and I am close to loading the sql to create the playground tables.  However, I am not sure which database to load the tables to, nor as which user.  Our OCUM61 mySQL server has the following objects on it.  These are the information_schema, the netapp_model_view and the ocum_view.  I've previously built a mySQL server on my laptop and a mySQL server on a utility Linux box I have root access to.  In both cases I loaded the storage services tables on my windows machine onto a test DB, there. 
And on the Linux box I built a playground database and loaded the sql tables there.  In both cases I have DBA permissions.  On our OCUM SQL server I only have wfa user permissions.  My questions are these:

1. What permissions do I need to load the playground tables on the OCUM SQL server?
  2. Do I need to create a DB called playground and load the tables there?
  3. Or, I've noticed when I access the mySQL OCUM server through mySQL workbench, there are no tables on the views but I suspect I could drop the playground tables on either the netapp_model_view or the ocum_view.  My question here is which one?  
Frequent Contributor

I have not seen the dar files.

However there are couple of things which I want to highlight.

1. What permissions do I need to load the playground tables on the OCUM SQL server?

[Abhi] Playground tables belong to WFA and not to OCUM. Playground tables most probably are to be loaded in WFA.

1. Do I need to create a DB called playground and load the tables there?

[Abhi] Again, this is part of WFA. You probably just need to import them in WFA and do an acquisition. Tables will be created.

1. Or, I've noticed when I access the mySQL OCUM server through mySQL workbench, there are no tables on the views but I suspect I could drop the playground tables on either the netapp_model_view or the ocum_view.  My question here is which one?

[Abhi] Playground DB is for WFA. Please don't look into OCUM DB.

Regards

Abhi

New Contributor

In addition to what Abhi mentioned,

>>>What permissions do I need to load the playground tables on the OCUM SQL server?

As Abhi mentioned, the playground tables are in the WFA db. The TR has details on creating the playground scheme tables using the WFA user credentials.

>>>Do I need to create a DB called playground and load the tables there?

No, the playground db already exists. Restoring the sql file (which is attached in the original post) will create the tables that stores the metadata for the storage services.

New Contributor

Hi Roger,

Sorry for the delayed response. Custom workflow supporting snapvault in this package is not expected. Instead, you could try using the built-in out of the box SnapVault workflow that WFA 2.2 has and integrate it with this package if you desire.

HTH

ganesh

OK, so there is a third DB supporting WFA itself....

This is in addition to the data sources from OCUM 5.2 (Sybase supporting OnTap mode 7) and OCUM 6.1 (mySQL supporting cDOT).  We use both Ontap mode 7 and cDOT in our environment and we will need to allocate storage using policies from both for VMware.  That being said, I presume the WFA DB lives on the same server where we loaded Work Flow Automation?  How do I access this as a DBA so that I can load the SQL to create the tables?  I have read the TR and it did not seem to go into that detail.  It only provides very detailed information on the table structure which is good, but not how to load it using the SQL code.    

Frequent Contributor

You don't load the sql by logging into it.

You have to do it via wfa.

There are 2 ways.

If it is a .dar file you have to do an "import" in wfa.

If it is a backup file, you have to do a restore.

The sql will be loaded in wfa by these 2 ways.

Abhi

Sent from Mobile

Frequent Contributor

Can anyone provide more specifics on how you install the two Perl modules (ActiveRecord::Simple and DBD::mysql). The documentation lists them and the versions tested with, indicates they need to be installed but doesn't say how. Do I use cpan? what command syntax? etc

Frequent Contributor

FWIW, the above topic regarding how to install the two Perl modules is taking place over in the discussion Board at: 

http://community.netapp.com/t5/OnCommand-Storage-Management-Software-Discussions/WFA-workflows-for-using-Storage-as-a-Service-TR-4272-Struggling-to-install/m-p/93369#U93369

One thing I'm working on with these workflows is having the UPDATE process work.  Specifically, I have an existing Storage Domain created with one aggregate within it (can be viewed using the View Storage Domain workflow) but I want to add a new aggregate into that storage domain without destroying and re-creating the workflow (destroying means the self-service portal will not have a backend storage domain for requests).  I know the commands have an $action variable that can have a value of UPDATE assigned, but I still recieve the error that a duplicate entry exists when I execute:

DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Duplicate entry '<Storage_Domain_Name>' for key 'uk_playground_storage_domain_natural_key' at C:/Program Files/NetApp/WFA/Perl64/site/lib/ActiveRecord/Simple.pm line 342, <STDIN> line 1.

Has anyone been able to create an Update workflow successfully?  Is there another way that I should be updating the domains?  Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

-Chris

Has anyone using this package in production?

- Rick -

Is this package available for WFA 3.1.0?

Warning!

This NetApp Community is public and open website that is indexed by search engines such as Google. Participation in the NetApp Community is voluntary. All content posted on the NetApp Community is publicly viewable and available. This includes the rich text editor which is not encrypted for https.

In accordance to our Code of Conduct and Community Terms of Use DO NOT post or attach the following:

• Software files (compressed or uncompressed)
  • Files that require an End User License Agreement (EULA)
  • Confidential information
  • Personal data you do not want publicly available
  • Another’s personally identifiable information
  • Copyrighted materials without the permission of the copyright owner

Files and content that do not abide by the Community Terms of Use or Code of Conduct will be removed. Continued non-compliance may result in NetApp Community account restrictions or termination.