Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

2.1 Error with Create Volume cmd: '_x001B_', hexadecimal value 0x1B, is an invalid character

TIMHOIBERG

Hi,

I recently upgraded to 2.1 and ran a workflow using the Create Volume cmd in my test environment and got the following error message: "'_x001B_', hexadecimal value 0x1B, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 113."

Running the same workflow on a different array will run successfully but I'm just curious about the error condition in case it will appear in my production environment. Command log is as follows (I removed the names of my systems):

09:24:46.532 INFO  [null] ***** Workflow Execution Started *****

09:24:46.625 INFO  [Create Volume Precheck] ### Command 'Create Volume Precheck' ###

09:25:13.594 INFO  [Create Volume Precheck] Executing command: ./Create_Volume_Precheck3513876807556830524.ps1 -AggregateName aggr01 -Array [array_name] -VfilerName [vfiler_name] -VolumeName [volume_name] -VolumeSize 13312 -WebServiceAddress [SOAP_Server}

09:25:26.297 INFO  [Create Volume Precheck] Command completed, took 39656 milliseconds

09:25:26.375 INFO  [Create volume] ### Command 'Create volume' ###

09:25:44.515 INFO  [Create volume] Executing command: ./Create_volume2099874530348039608.ps1 -AggregateName aggr01 -Array [array_ip] -Deduplication $true -Options 'nvfail on,create_ucode on,convert_ucode on,fractional_reserve 100,no_atime_update off' -Size 13312 -SnapshotReservePercentage 0 -SnapshotScheduleOptions '0 0 0' -VFilerName [vfiler_name] -VolumeGuarantee none -VolumeName [volume_name]

09:25:44.687 INFO  [Create volume] Get-WfaCredentials -Host [array_ip]

09:25:44.796 INFO  [Create volume] Credentials successfully provided for '[array_ip]'

09:25:46.609 ERROR  [Create volume] Command failed for Workflow 'MANUAL: Unstructured Windows Volume' with error : '_x001B_', hexadecimal value 0x1B, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 113.

09:25:46.625 INFO  [Create volume] ***** Workflow Execution Failed *****

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Tim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mgoddard

Hey Tim,

Do the credentials for the array have any special characters in it? I've found some values are not escaped properly, including fairly basic characters like $ as a first character. Try changing the admin credentials for the array to alpha-numeric only and see if it helps. (and setting the new credentials in the credentials tab). Or create a second admin user with a simpler password to test if that's the problem.

The 0x1B is the Escape character so I'm assuming that's not actually in the credentials its trying to use. If it got past the credentials step I would expect to see a log for "Creating a new volume.....", so assuming the volume didn't get created and the failure is for options setting.

Regards,

- Michael.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

mgoddard

Hey Tim,

Do the credentials for the array have any special characters in it? I've found some values are not escaped properly, including fairly basic characters like $ as a first character. Try changing the admin credentials for the array to alpha-numeric only and see if it helps. (and setting the new credentials in the credentials tab). Or create a second admin user with a simpler password to test if that's the problem.

The 0x1B is the Escape character so I'm assuming that's not actually in the credentials its trying to use. If it got past the credentials step I would expect to see a log for "Creating a new volume.....", so assuming the volume didn't get created and the failure is for options setting.

Regards,

- Michael.

TIMHOIBERG

Thanks Michael, using a different account with a less complex password has done the trick.

ag
NetApp

Hey Tim,

Can you tell me the version of ONTAP you are running and whether it is C-mode or 7-mode?

mgoddard

Hey Anil,

For me it was 7-mode that caused the password issues with special characters, it's the connect to server itself that causes it. C-mode seemed to be okay with the ones I tried it with.

M.

ag
NetApp

Thanks M,

One more question. Did you try connecting to different 7-mode filers. Did it fail to connect in every instance where the password contained special characters?

mgoddard

Hi Anil,

Yep, it failed on multiple instances, however I did only test on simulators.

- Michael.

ag
NetApp

Thanks Michael,

There doesn't seem to be a problem with physical filers. I will try on simulators too. What version of ontap were you running on the simulators?

If you still have the sims with you, can you share it?

I am trying to fix this.

Regards,

Anil

ag
NetApp

Hi Michael,

Can you share the the version of ONTAP you tried this on?

mgoddard

Hi Anil,

The OnTap version is 8.2. It is fixed in WFA 2.1 it seems. Try a password like "$torage", it could be the $ thats cause it in this case, and I believe the other tests had a $ in the password too.

Unfortunately I don't have any more 7-mode sim's to test the other characters anymore.

M.

ag
NetApp

Hi michael,

Thanks for the response. I will look into what can be done.

ag
NetApp

Michael,

Was there a burt that was raised to fix this in WFA 2.0?

vCosonok

I just got the same error and was scratching my head until reading this post.

What had happened was that I'd restored WFA from a database backup (of another WFA box), and it seems like the credentials don't get restored (this was for connecting to Clustered ONTAP.)

Once I re-entered my Cluster login, all was dandy again Smiley Happy

Public