Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Alternatives (and pros/cons) for techniques to control remote SM-SQL operations

korns

I'm involved in more than one planning effort to use WFA to control SnapManager for SQL operations on multiple Windows SQL Server systems where the customer is already a heavy SnapManager for SQL. Use cases range from a) just setting up and controlling local snapshot backups b) integrating/adding SnapMirror/Vault relationships with the servers and b) creating and presenting dev-test clones.

I was going to ask here if any others have done similar things with with WFA but I find no mentions of SMSQL or SM-SQL here. In considering the underlying design choices I see several options and would be interested in hearing the pros and cons of each from others with more experience in these topics:

• Use SnapManager for SQL's PowerShell cmdlets which allow a -remoteComputerName (?) option to perform a function on a remote system running SM-SQL. This would seem to require that SMSQL be installed on the WFA server itself. Can SM-SQL be installed on a Windows system that does not necessarily have MS-SQL installed on it?
  • Another choice would be to use remote Windows functions such as the Invoke-Command cmdlet discussed elsewhere in this community. The idea would be to use it invoke SM-SQL cmdlets on the remote systems running MS-SQL and SM-SQL. This would eliminate the need for SM-SQL on the the WFA server but may have other disadvantages.
  • Implement SnapCreator along side SM-SQL and use the SnapCreator Pack. I have the most questions about this since it raises several unknowns for me. For example: can SnapCreator and SM-SQL co-exist (happily or begrudgingly) on the same M-SQL server? Does SnapCreator allow the creation of clones and making them available to others hosts similar what SM-SQL can do? 
  • different option(s)?

I'm hoping these questions solicit discussion and opinions on tradeoffs and opinions on which might be the better choice in different situations.

Dave

1 REPLY 1

sinhaa

My pick would be option 2 i.e. use Invoke-Command. Its extremely useful cmdlet and has just too many advantages not to use it. You build your Posh script, run them remotely from WFA server. Disadvantages? I don't know, nothing that I have come across.

sinhaa

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Public