Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

ApplianceWatch unable to connect to Storage Controllers

theankeong

Hi there,

I have installed & configured ApplianceWatch Managment Pack for Microsoft System Center Operations Manager (SCOM) and managed to discover my storage controllers.

However when I tried to input my credentials & Test connection to the storage controllers I got hit with an error where I am unable to connect to the storage controllers.

I have verified that my credentials are correct as I can use it to access my filer view.

A quick check on AppWatch event viewer, I got this :

2010-03-16 11:04:04,059 [5568:mon] ERROR (NetAppSCOMUtilityLibrary.SCOMUtilsClass:ConnectToFiler) - ConnectToFiler - failed to connect to filer: 192.168.1.131

2010-03-16 11:04:04,057 [5568:mon] ERROR (NetAppSCOMUtilityLibrary.ZAPIUtilsClass:GetFilerConnection) - Couldn't connect to 192.168.1.131 using HTTPS, not allowed to try HTTP.

I tried connect both via HTTP & HTTPS, both came back with failure to connect.

Any advise? Is there any firewall ports that I need to open ?

17 REPLIES 17

ludwig_mainguenaud

Hi,

I installed two time this configuration and i haven't problem ...

Check this options on your filer.

httpd.admin.enable           on

httpd.admin.ssl.enable       off

if this configuration work, HTTPS isn't functionnaly on your SCOM maybe ...

best regards

theankeong

Hi Ludwig,

Thanks for the pointers. The SSL is indeed enabled. However I still cannot connect in to storage controllers even on HTTPS.

My customer told me that there is a firewall between SCOM & their Storage Controllers. I need to know which ports is needed to be opened in order for the communciation to take place.

That being said, I still can access the Filerview from my SCOM server via HTTPS and also telnet on SSH (port 443). And yet, my SCOM still cannot connect to the storage controllers.

ludwig_mainguenaud

Do you see SNMP trap from the filer on your SCOM ?

donaldmann

Did you ever get this resolved?  We saw some weird issues trying to input the credentials.  The pop-up was not asking for controller credentials.  Did it look like this?

If so - this has to do with not having the Ontap Discovery rule properly enabled.  In our case - it needed to be enabled on the RMS server instead of the server it was enabled on.  Either way - can you confirm if this is the screen shot you are seeing?  When you click on Manage DataONTAP controller credentials?

Please provide more info.

watan

The prereq video from the Getting Started Series has a troubleshooting section that may help with this issue.

http://communities.netapp.com/docs/DOC-5654

jerome_barrelet

Hi guys,

I'm having this issue I followed the video but when I try  to click on DataONTAP : Manage Controller Credentials I have this screen

(see in attach) but I can do anythings.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance

Jerome

watan

Doesn't look like the controllers were discovered.  Did you go through the "discovery wizard" to pick the controllers up via snmp?  You'll need to do this first for anything to show up.

jerome_barrelet

Hej

Thanks for the fast replay.

Yes i made a discovery of my applianceswith the discovery wizard

Find the result in attach, everything seem ok !

Jerome

watan

If the controllers aren't getting populated then there could be some sort of communication error.

Check the event logs -> AppWatch -  this will show any errors if any.

If its clean, try the following.

1. close SCOM

2. go to Start -> Run ->  and enter  Microsoft.MOM.UI.Console.exe /ClearCache     (This will clear out anything that has been cached in SCOM)

3. Open a console window to a specific storage array. (SSH, Telnet)

4. Run Discovery Wizard again for a specific controller (Specify Ip Address for controller above)

5. We should be able to see any errors if any on the console.

6. Try to run the Manage Storage Credentials from SCOM -> Monitoring -> DataOnTap Folder-> Controllers

jerome_barrelet

I have nothing in the  event logs -> AppWatch

I tried your procedure but I have still the same.

No message in the filer console

When I check the device state for my network device (see in attach) I have an error SNMP GET. Is that a correct state ?

Do I have to check some parameter on my filers for SNMP ?

Can I change my snmp version on my filers? To be sure to use SNMP version 2 ?

I found a tip in the netapp guide , which the error is exacly what I have. But I can't reproduce it.

Storage controllers appear in the

Network Device Monitoring

window but not in the Data

ONTAP credentials tool

Select Show all network devices in the Data ONTAP

Storage Systems pane. This identifies any devices that

ApplianceWatch does not support.

watan

If you're not getting anything in the AppWatch logs then its not working.  Check the SNMP settings on the filer and on your SCOM host.  Here's a snippet from the AppWatch BPG which will be released soon.

For OnTap versions below 7.3,  only SNMP version V1 will be supported..  
For OnTap version 7.3 and above -  SNMP V3 and SNMP V2C will be supported. 
Using SNMP Version V1 will discover all filers in the environment. 

1.1       BEST PRACTICES FOR APPLIANCEWATCH PRO QUICK START

Configuring SCOM and SCVMM to work correctly with ApplianceWatch PRO involves several steps. The following list shows a list of general steps required for getting ApplianceWatch PRO to function properly. For more specific details, please refer to the ApplianceWatch PRO 2.1.1 Installation and Administration Guide.

ApplianceWatch PRO Quick Start Guide:[d1]

1.     SCOM Installation

a.     Review the SCOM Installation Guide for requirements.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb309428.aspx

b.     SCOM Reporting – SCOM Reporting Module installation required.

c.     SCVMM – SCVMM installation with SCOM integration, and enabling PRO Tips.

d.     Determine that all installation requirements have been fulfilled and confirm proper functionality prior to proceeding with ApplianceWatch PRO installation. Refer to the Microsoft documentation for SCOM, SCVMM, or Reporting for more details:  http://www.microsoft.com/systemcenter/en/us/default.aspx

2.     ApplianceWatch PRO Installation – Download from the NetApp Support site (formerly NOW)

a.     Install ApplianceWatch PRO.

i.     Run ApplianceWatch PRO executable on SCOM server.

b.     Import the ApplianceWatch PRO Management Packs into SCOM.

i.    Open SCOM, Administration, right-click on Management Packs, select Import Management Packs.

c.     Discover Network Devices.

i.    Open SCOM, Administration, Click “Discovery wizard,” and discover Network Devices.

ii.    Determine that SNMP is set up appropriately on the Windows server running SCOM and on NetApp storage prior to running Network Device Discovery.

d.     Add NetApp Storage Controller.

i.    After Network Device Discovery is complete, go to Monitoring, Discovered Inventory (determine that Discovered Inventory scope is set to Management Server), select “Data ONTAP: Add Controller.”

e.     Add NetApp Storage Credentials.

i.    Select “Data ONTAP: Manage Controller Credentials” (determine that user credentials have appropriate roles and capabilities assigned; see Section 2.4 for minimum roles and capabilities).

f.      Enable Discovery.

i.    Go to Authoring, Management Pack Objects, Rules, Filter & Look For: “Data ONTAP: Discovery Rule” under Management Server (not Data ONTAP Management server). Enable Data ONTAP Discovery Rule, Data ONTAP PRO Discovery Rule, and Data ONTAP MetroCluster Discovery Rule if the respective management packs are installed and configured.

ii.    Right-click Rule, select Overrides, Override the Rule, for all objects of class: Management Server, select Override for “Enabled,” and set Override Value to “True.” Follow the best practice for overrides in Section 2.7 and save all ApplianceWatch PRO overrides to a new management pack.

g.     PRO Environments.

i.    Install ApplianceWatch PRO Agent on all Hyper-V hosts managed by SCVMM and if monitoring is required by ApplianceWatch PRO.

h.      Enable PRO Tips.

i.    From SCVMM, Administration, General, PRO Settings, check Enable PRO Tips.

ii.    Enable PRO Tips for the appropriate host group(s): From SCVMM, hosts, select host group, properties, PRO, check Enable PRO on this Host Group.

liquidmetal

Hey Guys,

So i have two controllers that are in a DMZ, our network team has made it so that only certain servers can talk to the shelves using specific ports.

Does anyone know which ports would need to be opened on the firewall for me to be able to discover the controllers? I am assuming i would need to be able to ping the controllers before i can actually discover them.

Any help would be great !

Here is pretty much what they are looking for

SCOM Management Server ----------------------> (Firewall) -------------> Controller1 in DMZ

SCOM Management Server ----------------------> (Firewall) -------------> Controller2 in DMZ

Do the controllers have to talk back to the management server? if so do they talk back on the same port? What protocol is being used?

Thank you in advance,

watan

You'll need SNMP, HTTP or HTTPS open on the firewall.

SNMP is for discovery of the storage arrays via SCOM's discovery wizard

HTTP or HTTPS for AppWatch discovery and monitoring.

If the controllers are using AD authentication then you'll also need those ports open otherwise you'll need to add local users.

YGREMILLET

Hello,
I also have exactly the same problem.
Did you find the solution?
Thank you for your reply.

watan

Are you getting SNMP errors?  Have you opened a support case?

If its a SNMP issue, check the host and storage for the proper SNMP settings.  Ensure that all firewalls, ports, etc are open for any communication to and from the storage to the SCOM servers. 

Also please review the ApplianceWatch PRO 2.1.1 Best Practice Guide

kennyk

Hi,

i got customer able to discovery filer but when put in correct or wrong password, got same messages "Connection to controller HOST failed"

any idea?

watan

What protocol are you using?  HTTP or HTTPS?   It looks more like a connectivity issue rather then authentication.  Check to see if you can access filerview from the same box Http & Https, if yes then the ports are ok.

Try removing the storage array from the discovered inventory

Close SCOM once you remove everything and use the /ClearCache flag.

1. Open the Operations console by using the /ClearCache switch. For example, run the following command at a command prompt:
    microsoft.mom.ui.console.exe /clearcache

Now restart the entire process of adding the storage array.  Here is a link to the AppWatch BPG that has a quick start section that should help.

ApplianceWatch PRO 2.1.1 Best Practice Guide

Public