Subscribe

ApplianceWatch unable to connect to Storage Controllers

Hi there,

I have installed & configured ApplianceWatch Managment Pack for Microsoft System Center Operations Manager (SCOM) and managed to discover my storage controllers.

However when I tried to input my credentials & Test connection to the storage controllers I got hit with an error where I am unable to connect to the storage controllers.

I have verified that my credentials are correct as I can use it to access my filer view.

A quick check on AppWatch event viewer, I got this :

2010-03-16 11:04:04,059 [5568:mon] ERROR (NetAppSCOMUtilityLibrary.SCOMUtilsClass:ConnectToFiler) - ConnectToFiler - failed to connect to filer: 192.168.1.131

2010-03-16 11:04:04,057 [5568:mon] ERROR (NetAppSCOMUtilityLibrary.ZAPIUtilsClass:GetFilerConnection) - Couldn't connect to 192.168.1.131 using HTTPS, not allowed to try HTTP.

I tried connect both via HTTP & HTTPS, both came back with failure to connect.

Any advise? Is there any firewall ports that I need to open ?

Re: ApplianceWatch unable to connect to Storage Controllers

Hi,

I installed two time this configuration and i haven't problem ...

Check this options on your filer.

httpd.admin.enable           on

httpd.admin.ssl.enable       off

if this configuration work, HTTPS isn't functionnaly on your SCOM maybe ...

best regards

Hi Ludwig,

Thanks for the pointers. The SSL is indeed enabled. However I still cannot connect in to storage controllers even on HTTPS.

My customer told me that there is a firewall between SCOM & their Storage Controllers. I need to know which ports is needed to be opened in order for the communciation to take place.

That being said, I still can access the Filerview from my SCOM server via HTTPS and also telnet on SSH (port 443). And yet, my SCOM still cannot connect to the storage controllers.

Do you see SNMP trap from the filer on your SCOM ?

Did you ever get this resolved?  We saw some weird issues trying to input the credentials.  The pop-up was not asking for controller credentials.  Did it look like this?

If so - this has to do with not having the Ontap Discovery rule properly enabled.  In our case - it needed to be enabled on the RMS server instead of the server it was enabled on.  Either way - can you confirm if this is the screen shot you are seeing?  When you click on Manage DataONTAP controller credentials?

Please provide more info.

The prereq video from the Getting Started Series has a troubleshooting section that may help with this issue.

http://communities.netapp.com/docs/DOC-5654

Hi guys,

I'm having this issue I followed the video but when I try  to click on DataONTAP : Manage Controller Credentials I have this screen

(see in attach) but I can do anythings.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance

Jerome

Doesn't look like the controllers were discovered.  Did you go through the "discovery wizard" to pick the controllers up via snmp?  You'll need to do this first for anything to show up.

Hej

Thanks for the fast replay.

Yes i made a discovery of my applianceswith the discovery wizard

Find the result in attach, everything seem ok !

Jerome

If the controllers aren't getting populated then there could be some sort of communication error.

Check the event logs -> AppWatch -  this will show any errors if any.

If its clean, try the following.

1. close SCOM

2. go to Start -> Run ->  and enter  Microsoft.MOM.UI.Console.exe /ClearCache     (This will clear out anything that has been cached in SCOM)

3. Open a console window to a specific storage array. (SSH, Telnet)

4. Run Discovery Wizard again for a specific controller (Specify Ip Address for controller above)

5. We should be able to see any errors if any on the console.

6. Try to run the Manage Storage Credentials from SCOM -> Monitoring -> DataOnTap Folder-> Controllers