Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Backup using Operations manager

evantatcwb

I have a evaluation copy for Operations manager currently, I am currently snapvaulting a whole volume over to our secondary Filer daily using the CLI settings. I want to switch over using opertions/protection manager, but I am not able to use the Backup tab to backup the volume it keeps asking me for a primary directory or a qtree. Is it supposed to be built this way, not being able to snapvault a volume but only directories and qtrees.

Evan

5 REPLIES 5

smoot

Hi Evan --

Yes, that's correct.  Neither Operations Manager nor Protection Manager support whole-volume SnapVault.  They will only back up individual qtrees.  As a shortcut, you can add entire volumes to a Protection Manager dataset, we'll figure out that you meant to protect all the qtrees and establish all the relationships for you.

Out of curiosity, what lead you to decide you wanted to back up entire volumes?  There are many possible reasons and I'd like to hear which ones matter to you.

-- Pete

evantatcwb

All of our VM servers are in folders, located inside the specific volume. And we would like to do a snapvault of the folder once a day as a daily, I really do not want to setup a snapvault per directory that would be too much micro management. So if I add that volume as a dataset in ops manager, the backup tab will be able to see all those directories within that volume and back that up instead?

smoot

Hi Evan --

Thanks for the reply.

Datasets are a Protection Manager concept and are not available in Operations Manager.  But, I think you get the idea: you add a volume or volumes to a dataset, apply a backup policy and the DFM server discovers newly added qtrees and automatically creates SnapVault relationships for you.

I've got other ideas you can try...

When you say "directories", do you really mean "qtrees"?  If you don't need quotas, you can just create top-level directories, back up "filer:/vol/volumename/-" and that will back up all the data that isn't in a qtree.  If you're not using qtrees, that has the effect of backing up the entire volume.  Then, any time you add a new VM it will be picked up like any other file on the next update.

Anyway, I'll assume you're using qtrees for good reasons.  In Operations Manager, there's a report "Qtrees not scheduled for backup" (pick the "Backup" tab, then select the "Storage Systems" subtab, then pick the "Qtrees not scheduled for backup" view).  That will tell you which qtrees are not being backed up anywhere and lets you easily configure those qtrees for backup.  It's not completely automated but it's not too tedious to check this every few days.  Is that still too much micro management?

-- Pete

evantatcwb

Hi Pete,

We're not currently using qtrees, I just provided a volume for our VM administrator and he added the Virtual machines through PtoV. I'm still trying to figure out how to add the volume you suggested into a dataset; also your second suggestion will probably work for me "If you don't need quotas, you can just create top-level directories, back up "filer:/vol/volumename/-" and that will back up all the data that isn't in a qtree." I'm still new to protection manager so its still kind of confusing for me. The administrative guide doesn't have much for instructions, they make everything seem easy but running into problems reading the guide. Are you able to direct me to a site that could show me how to do all of this, I've been playing around with the program alot but things are just not happening.

I guess what I really want to know is, what do I use to setup the datasets and doing the backups. Do I use the Operations manager directly on the server, or use the NetApp Management Console program that I can download from it.

thanks for your help.

Evan

adaikkap

Hi Evan

Creation of datasets and protection of the same can be only done for the NMC or the dfpm cli.

I would recommend you to use the NMC as you are a novice.AS you become familiar and adept at PM you

inadvertently start using the clis.

Isn't the chapter on "Example of a data protection workflow scenario"

at the below link help you ?

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/DFM_win/rel371/pdfs/protect.pdf

Regards

adai

Public