Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Can DFM 4.0 create a vFiler DR ?

mrettl

Hi!

I am wondering if DFM 4.0 can create a "vFiler DR" relationship from a vFiler or Dataset containing a vFiler by applying a "DR Mirror" Protection Policy?

This is what I would expect from it, but obviously DFM 4.0 does not deal with "vFiler DR" at all... or am I wrong?

Regards,

Matthias

3 REPLIES 3

adaikkap
I am wondering if DFM 4.0 can create a "vFiler DR" relationship from a vFiler or Dataset containing a vFiler by applying a "DR Mirror" Protection Policy?

Yes DFM 4.0 is capable.

This is what I would expect from it, but obviously DFM 4.0 does not deal with "vFiler DR" at all... or am I wrong?

But Vfiler DR of ONTAP is not supported by DFM 4.0

Regards

adai

smoot

Sorry Adai, I need to contradict you.

Protection Manager will not create vFiler DR configurations.  In fact, if you create vfiler DR configurations in your environment, that causes problems with Protection Manager.  vFiler DR creates vFiler units and volumes with identical names and in some contexts, we don't show you enough context to figure out which volume you're working with.  This leads to issues where it's very easy to select the wrong volume.

Protection Manager will happily let you use different vFiler units for your primary and DR storage and gives you single-button failover.  This essentially matches what vFiler DR implements but it's not using vFiler DR.

-- Pete

adaikkap

Hi Pete,

Ok let me make myself clear, By yes DFM 4.0 is vFiler DR capable I meant

Vfiler with DR Mirror Policy.

If you see my reply they are in two parts, for Data OnTap Vfiler DR we are not.

But For DR Mirror Vfiler DR yes.(Here the VFiler names are different in Primary and DR node)

Regards

adai

Public